Thursday, December 14, 2006

a bit of irony

I've never been a very good pimp. I mean that...haven't you heard that it's tough out there being a pimp?

(chortle)

Yeah, when it comes to doing publicity, I suck. With E.J. in Venice and the existing low-level apathy of the local media to anything resembling words written on a piece of paper, getting ink and microphone time here has always been a pain. You can send twenty press releases, but the odds of actually getting picked up for any given event are long. Longer than a national title for the Mountaineers in football this year, at this time.

I used to get bent out of shape over it. In California, no problem. Hell, in Mississippi, where I was really just passing through, they put me on TV and the local schools all had me in at one point or another. But here, for some bizarre reason, nothing. Clunk. Thunk.

It's not like I asked the prettiest girl in school to the prom and she turned me down (actually the prettiest girl in my high school senior class didn't go to the prom...everyone figured she already had a boyfriend and a date, so no one asked). It's more like I asked the girl next door I knew in high school is she wants to ride along to the 25th reunion (which, my class, the legendary slackers that they are, didn't even have) and she didn't answer, just stared off in the distance and started talking about something irrelevant to her life, your life and the school you went to.

I picked up this morning's local paper, which includes their weekly entertainment section, and just about every article in that section is a reprint of a wire story. Sorry, Britney's panties (or lack thereof) lost relevance to me a long time ago. Hold it, they never were relevant or of interest to me.

What will the turnout tonight be? I don;t care that much...I have half the planet telling me to bail on this state and go where I'm treated as an adopted child, I get the name and the inheritance and know I'm wanted. I think they are, in part, like those warning Robin William's character in "What Dreams May Come" not to linger too long in Hell, that he may end up trapped there. Maybe if enough people put up with the apathy...it does seem silly that so much of our local media isn't local, but syndicated, wired and piped in from outside sources, as if we didn't really think there was much to offer here.

Oops, gotta go..Lex & Terry are on and I rarely miss them. (Irony)

Game on. Thanks Jaz. I like the collar.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Mr. DeVault,

You are a poet, and a man. Try not to take responsibility for apathy or the entire world's difficulties.

You mentioned the Four Agreements the other day. For the most part, take them to heart. Be true to your word and do your best. Realize that the time and space continuum does not always cooperate with your plans or with the wishes of others.

Whether you have ten people (not likely) or four hundred people at your CD release party tonight, be assured of the litanies of beings wishing you joy and sending you prayers of thanks for what you inspire.

The Four Agreements don't translate exactly when it comes to women, you know. The prettiest girl in school as well as the girl next door often want the same thing. The want to feel irreplaceable and relevant. They don't want to be defined by their looks, have assumptions made about them or made to feel that their life is irrelevant. It is all important.

I'm sure you could extend that analogy to career choices, and life paths. Every one and everything is important. We are all God's creatures, and he loves each of us in his own way.

You know you'll be held in the palm of his hand tonight, also know that love is all around you, even if you can't see it in front of you.

At 6:00 pm tonight, I'll say a little prayer for you (not to you, as I can see you are a man) look up at the moon, and wish you joy.

~A. Friend in the truest sense of the word.

P.S. Have a GREAT night, and good luck. I know your party will be a night to remember. I hope you will record the event in some way for later.

Anonymous said...

Have a great night Bill!

-K

Anonymous said...

Don't forget AC/DC
Good luck tonight William

~Jaz~

Copyright © William F. DeVault | All Rights Reserved