Tuesday, December 19, 2006

Christmas answer

In response to an email from a reader in Connecticut:

My favourite Christmas or Holiday themed movie is "Love Actually" with Bill Nighy, Hugh Grant, Emma Thompson, Alan Rickman, Keira Knightley, Colin Firth (I really identified with his character), Liam Neeson, Chiwetel Ejiofor, Kris Marshall...and half the competent actors working today, it seems at times. Watch for Billy Bob Thornton's hilarious turn as a US President who is full of himself and seems half Ronald Reagan, half Bill Clinton.

My favourite Christmas or Holiday themed song is "I Believe in Father Christmas" by Emerson, Lake and Palmer. Beautiful and cynical, but with a slight message of hope. "Hallelujah, Noel, be it Heaven or Hell, the Christmas we get we deserve."

The thing I like most about the season is so many people step and act like they are supposed to be acting 365 days of the year. The thing I dislike the most is that it is only, for most, a temporary change and they turn back into bastards at New Years.

What do I want for Christmas this year? I can think of a wish list of several things, most of which are unlikely, improbable or just plain out of reach. I hope to get a card or email or letter from at least one lost or misplaced friend or ex-lover, letting me know they are alive and doing well. I'd like a call from my daughter. A kiss that reminds me what I've forgotten and makes me forget what I don't need to be worrying about.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Even though I'm fairly certain you've,at times, been naughty, but mostly very very nice this year, I hope the Big Man or even Santa grants you everything you wish for...not just for Christmas, but forever.

~A.men

P.S. Those creatures (great and small), who will soon be recieving your blankets, will be better off for your love and generosity.
You are kind.

Anonymous said...

Who doesn't love to snuggle with a warm blanket?
Make sure you pet them all for me
; )
acdc

Anonymous said...

Love Actually is one of my favorite movies too. The music in the movie is too much fun. I have a hard time watching it, however.

I get very distracted by having to view three of my crushes on film all at the same time.

Alan Rickman makes me weak.
Hugh Grant makes me want to bake something.
Colin Firth is always intriguing-(love interest in Brigit Jones' Diary, and especially as Mr. Darcy in BBC's Pride and Prejudice).

Have a blessed day, Poet.

Anonymous said...

Is that really a Christmas movie? LOL
Buffalo Gals Won't you come out tonight?

And, as I'm sure you are already aware, Tag, "Every time a bell rings and angel gets his wings."

What are your views on The Bells of St. Mary? Isn't that the one with Cary Grant and Bing Crosby?

Anonymous said...

Lo Siento.
I was actually thinking of The Bishop's Wife, which actually has great
non-commercialization of Christmas examples. Also, Cary Grant. I can't top that.

I'm going away now. I've got to get some cookies baked.-Because I want to, not because I have to...

Copyright © William F. DeVault | All Rights Reserved