Wednesday, December 06, 2006

lightning in a long-legged bottle

I just composed this live for Jaz. She said I could share. It.


lightning in a long-legged bottle

I happened upon
lightning in a bottle.
a long-legged bottle.
capped perhaps
by a careless hand
who didn't understand
that lightning
needs to be free
to find its own level,
its own peace.
and so, sought to trap
the radiance,
the jazz, the power.
and in doing so, sapped
the light,
the beauty, the energy
to a level a fraction
of where it was
and should be
by the very nature of lightning.

so, I shield my eyes
and pry loose the stopper.
and pray she stays
at least in the immediate
vicinity
so that I may watch
her dance
between clouds and the earth.
between my dreams and my waking.
and never resent me
for placing her
in a bottle.
but smile upon me
for having set her free.


William F. DeVault. all rights reserved.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

"Lightning in a long-legged bottle" shimmers!

Sounds as if you really Get jAz!

She is a lucky woman. I hope she lives up to the honor of your poem.

A pleasing turn of events, wish you the very best...

Anonymous said...

RE: TITLE OF YOUR POEM.

This reads like a good Van Morrison song-

That Was a Wonderful Remark.

Good song.
Illuminating poem.

William F. DeVault said...

Actually, I am working right now on a song based on this poem. Keep an ear open for it.

Copyright © William F. DeVault | All Rights Reserved