Monday, December 25, 2006

Answering a few questions

A reader/listener sent me a long-ass email, asking me about a few of the cuts appearing, not only on my CDs this year, but also one of the new pieces on From Out of the City, my podcast. I'm fine with answering questions, especially since I hate anticipating what people want to know (one of my former muses, the delicious "Truth" liked to suddenly, in mid-discussion, turn and say "Tell me a secret". I never knew what to say.).

The five pieces in question are:

Strange but Beautiful, from the CD NEMICORN
The question is "Who inspired this?" The answer is complex, but in its most simplistic forms it was "no one person". I have a muse I sometimes use, named "Abstra", who is an abstraction. And while the initial concept of this piece came from both the viewing of a statue H.R. Giger made from his late wife and from the young woman who ended up being the cover model for book RONIN IN THE TEMPLE OF APHRODITE, the earnest answer is "no one".

Right Set of Lips, from the CD NEMICORN
The question here is "Whose lips?" And my answer is "the right set of lips". I've wandered down a few wrong paths in my life, but I have also touched and felt and smelt and heard the sounds of earnest passion and reverent affection that I know it is worth dying for. It is part of being the Amomancer, to be willing to, with gladness, die for love. Ask me in the moment, and I would bet the woman currently the fulcrum of my dreams knows all too well who she is.

Long Stemmed Jasmin, just released yesterday in my Christmas podcast
The question is "What does the title metaphor mean?" Simply put, the muse in question is quite tall with long legs...in past times it was not uncommon to refer to a woman's legs as "stems"...so I played upon her name and her legs to build the title and the metaphor for this poem and song.

The Texture of Your Tongue, from the CD NEMICORN
The question here is "Is this what I think it is about?" The answer is yes. Definitely yes. Oh God, yes yes yes yes yes yes. Actually, any lover will tell you that the Amomancer would rather give than receive, but that's not a proper topic for a public blog.

Love is an Howling Beast, from the CD THE NAKED READS
And the final question is "What is this about?" Inarguably about a lot of different relationships and their aftermaths, but primarily about my divorce from my second wife. It was emotionally brutal, though outwardly civilized in the time it occurred. I blame myself for having not worked harder and have pledged myself to, in the future, making sure I hold nothing back. Next one gets the world if she wants it.

There, are you happy now? I am...got those off my chest and got you some answers you may be happy with.

Merry Christmas.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice work. A courteous reply to a reader's unanswered questions.

Merry Christmas to you too. From someone who most decidedly did NOT want to cry on this, of all mornings.

How kind. A nice start.
Step in good time.

Signing off now, taking a little break from the drama that is swirling around your blog.

I'll check in later.
You are always on my mind. Usually in a good way.

Did I ever mention how compelling your writing is?
A welcome change.

Very much enjoyed your podcast last night. Exciting, and also a nice break from Christmas Dramas. Thank you.

:^)


~

Copyright © William F. DeVault | All Rights Reserved