Wednesday, November 08, 2006

writing for the music

Izzy answered my rhetorical question about the number of tracks on his challenge musical composition I'm working with (I had asked how many drums there were...)

Three separate electronic drumsets. And, for the record, two electric guitars, one synthesized bass and a very independent cymbal.

I hate Izzy. The rhythm and pace of the piece is atypical for my work, so I am having to write something original for it. How? I am listening to it over and over again to absorb the rhythm, the feel of it...I find 4 clear breaks where vocals can slide in without having to shout down that funky, lightning-fast bass guitar previously mentioned. I've rhythm'd it out and it does have a measured structure. When I close my eyes I see the blonde guitarist from Aretha Franklin's "Freeway of Love" playing (she had a bouncy, infectious energy, in the second or two you actually see her in the video, that stuck with me).

Then I will reflect on it, let it merge with my preconscious to find an image, a metaphor, a phrase that mixes well...then I will write, probably in a single burst, the full lyrics. The phrase "No way out but up" just popped into my head...maybe as a title, maybe as a line in the piece.

And...we're off...

0 comments:

Copyright © William F. DeVault | All Rights Reserved