Thursday, November 16, 2006

the way of the controlfreak

This may be the final cover to RONIN IN THE TEMPLE OF APHRODITE, my rapidly impending book of poems about loss, disillusionment and romantic love in the face of turmoil and doubt. And the triumph of the honor of the romantique.

Yes, honor. I think that this is an underplayed concept in society, especially Western society, where the pragmatism of the moment often outweighs the sanity or purpose of long-term vision. Under the code of the Samurai, did you know that it is considered more honorable to obey the orders of a corrupt master than a good one? It demonstrates how highly you value loyalty, which is the key virtue of Bushido. Intelligence, humanity and courage are considered the next tier of virtues, but loyalty is considered the most essential.

Of course, by now, you've seen, what, about 100 different possible covers? It must seem like it. I won't bore you with the evolutionary steps to this one, including the one without any cover text, which I liked, but was talked out of.

Oh, and the cover model? I will be asking her today if I can release her name. I know she is trying to work her schedule so she can be at the book release party at Book and Bean in Fairmont on December 14th...I think she wants to sign some books. And, she should be there, as I think she adds a great deal to the cover.

As usual, I had 143% control over the book, including selecting the model, taking the pictures, processing the cover designs via Photoshop, and selecting not only the content poems but their format and layout. Call me Mr. Controlfreak.

The funny thing is, I spend so much energy making decisions on things that matter to me, I often just slough off decisions that I feel are not essential for me to waste binary calculations on ("Paper or plastic" is usually greeted with "Indulge yourself", for instance.)

1 comments:

Billy Jones said...

I know exactly how you feel. I often go to restaurants and order "Food."

Of course the waitress will ask, "What kind of food?"

To which I reply, "I eat everything except boiled eggs and buttermilk-- you decide."

Just list night I ordered dry red wine. The waitress said, "what kind?"

I said, "Surprise me."

So much energy is spent on our crafts that nothing else seems important.

Copyright © William F. DeVault | All Rights Reserved