Sunday, November 26, 2006

National Poetry Month 2007 Bookings and PSAs

I'm opening my schedule now for readings and signings in conjunction with National Poetry Month in April, 2007. I usually don't start planning until after the New Year, but I sometimes find that a bit awkward, as the planning is sometimes more complex than anticipated.

I will listen to any proposals for venues and gigs in the Continental United States during that month...if I can chain several events together that are in a path or in an area to make things more sensible from a planning or economic viewpoint, so much the better. Money trumps sanity, though...paying gigs (unless there is a really intriguing element to a venue or purpose, I am susceptible to curiosity- or vanity- fueled ideas) rule.

So, check with your local schools, coffee houses, jails, writer's clubs, colleges, churches, book clubs, car dealerships, health clubs, brothels, literary societies, bars, radio stations, clubs, ice cream parlours, lingerie stores, libraries, book stores, festivals and courtyards. I like working corporate events (they often pay enough to allow me to take free events for worthy causes). I cooperate with local media. I don't mind being used as a fund-raiser. And I can promise a show. The shyness I have with women, one on one, doesn't exist when you give me a stage and a follow spot.

E.J. says it is because I don't like imposing on people...you never know when you are with a woman if she's there for you or just out of politeness...when you're being paid to show up and show, you know your purpose.

I have actually gotten used to a microphone. And I take requests, bringing specific reading lists depending on the venue (I never read "Warm Breath Stirs Soft Flesh" in churches). I can tailor my selections to the sociological/metaphysical/political or tear it up with a list that will cause a spike in the local birth rate nine months later.

Hey, who doesn't want a "living legend" (according to Lupi Basil of "Emotions" magazine) or the "Romantic Poet of the Internet" (according to Yahoo) to raise the roof, turn down the sheets and run amok through the local gentry?

I bring books, CDs and a certain class to the joint. And I've had my shots.

What's my dream month? I'd like to do three or four colleges, a couple of jails, a corporate event or two. Something out of the ordinary, unexpected, yet to be defined. I'd like to get on Lex & Terry's radio program for a bit promoting the month (I'd be happy to write something special for Kim). A political fundraiser. A conference or two on causes I believe in. A well-paid private event (imagine me doing a society birthday, anniversary or wedding reception). I want to open a baseball game with a reading of the National Anthem. I want a month that just raises the bar for the next year.

So, get to work. I will be writing and editing and honing my performance skills...you get the easy part.

I will also be doing a series of audio PSAs for National Poetry Month, if your local radio station needs one, drop me a line...they should be ready in January for free distribution.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have several good ideas for you, but am a little busy right now. In the next few days I'd be happy to share. Wondering if you're only interested in doing readings in April? I can think of several groups that would probably like to have you in Jan. or Feb. You always bring your books and music for sale don't you? With the groups I'm thinking of -having your words to take home, autographed, would be a big draw. Have you planned any readings for December other than in Morgantown? I'm guessing many people would like to buy your work in person for the holidays. It's a win win for them-they'd get to see you, hear you, gift you with live feedback,and get some holiday shopping out of the way. Your winter releases sound divine!

Fanny Bookbinder

Copyright © William F. DeVault | All Rights Reserved