Monday, November 13, 2006

podcasting in the salt mines

This is my 1,375th post to my blog. Yeow! Just thought I'd mention it. Cash donations not required. Don't make a party.

Glad I got the podcast out last night...I was tired and struggling to get it done, but made it. The process is a little time consuming...let me clue you in on it.

I record the show. Seeing as I generally hate the sound of my own voice, a pain in and of itself. And that's after I come up with a reason or theme for the show. Let's call this an hour.

Then I drop it from Garage Band to iTunes, then spin it back up as an MP3 after listening to it, again, to make sure it converted correctly. About a half hour to an hour, as I have to listen to the new file.

I then go to archive.org and go through their process for registering and uploading the file and the information. Then I wait while they process it...usually only about 10-15 minutes. Then I have to listen to it again. Once or twice the file has been corrupted during the upload, and that's not cool. But, presuming everything goes as it should...

I then have to modify the Radio and Index pages on the City of Legends website. Then set up the RSS Feeder to make the feed available to iTunes Music Store. Upload the new pages to the 'City. Another 15-20 minutes.

Then I need to make sure to promote the new feed on my Google Groups Mailing List. And blog about it, here. And sometimes even plug it on the band's MySpace page.

That's another twenty-30 minutes.

Total time, about 3 hours, if all goes well. Fortunately there is nothing I am addicted to on television on Sunday nights, but sometimes I am just tired, so it can be a chore. But, for the thousands of people who weekly listen to it, I hope my passion and commitment comes through and all is well.

I have this overwhelming urge to fly to California and feed my daughter, her husband and their friends some pancakes. I wonder where the nearest iHop is to them.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

OMgosh! How do I sign up for your weekly feed? For the first time the connection speed was perfect.

Hmm, proof that you are, in fact, the POET ROCKSTAR OF THE AGES. Did, in fact, have my volume set at ten and a half, didn't care if I blew my speakers.

I'm so glad you read it first, Naked reads are good. Izzy deserves a great dinner or something for the music. Wine and Roses even.

It was exactly right.

Wish I could stay home from work today. Will try very hard not be tardy. I'm guessing a lot of your fans will have trouble concentrating today.

I currently have PermaGrin.

Thank you SO much.

VIDQ? (Very Important Direct Question)

How would you be touched?

No one can be a giver ALL of the time.

Thanks for that, again.

~Ms Peach

It was a MOST excellent way to start my morning.

Copyright © William F. DeVault | All Rights Reserved