Thursday, November 23, 2006

Thanksgiving (That's the way God Planned It)

This past year saw the death of music legend Billy Preston. sometimes considered the "fith Beatle" or even the 6th man in the Rolling Stones, he also worked with people like Little Richard and had a very successful recording career on his own (and you know that song "You Are So Beautiful" by Joe Cocker? Billy wrote that.)

As I write this I am listening to his piece "That's The Way God Planned It". A lively and evocative piece of R&B gospel. One line in this song always pierced me:

"I hope you get this message
When you won't, others will.
You may not understand me
But I'll love you still ."

His life had great ups and downs, like the life of any creative artist who wears his emotions and beliefs and talents on his sleeve should be.

Art should not be created by cowards.

And the message of these words, that regardless of whether or not you understand his message, that God is in control and everything is going to be okay, is a reassuring one. But, even those whom could not or can not or will not accept the notion of a God who is benignly in control, or even a God, or even that there are people who can love without being loved in return, he'd still love. Because religion should not be left to the organizations and the ministers and the prayer breakfasts and the megachurches with their big-business bookstores and TV broadcasts, but the hearts of earnest believers.

It is that kind of love, that charity (which is what it means), that makes me grateful. That and the talents of men and women like Billy.

Happy Thanksgiving.

Some of the people I am grateful for in my life:

My daughter, Peri, and her husband, Brian. Their friend, who are so supportive of them. My son, Elric, with or without a flu shot. My son, Dante, who is probably going to be smarter than me, I just hope he doesn;t turn that incredible brain pan to poetry.

My ex-wife, Jan, who did a fine job of raising the kids after I got stupid. To my other ex, for the lessons I learned and the good times we spent together. To her mother for her fierce support for her only child. To Sydney, for an unflagging joy.

To my parents and my siblings.

To Karla, Robin, Nancy, Brigit, Alisha, Kristina, Amy, Jennifer, Aurora, Sarah, Maggie, Dar, Ginger, Luisa, Ellen, Lauri, Maxx, Carole, Rosa, Mary, Stephanie, Heather, Alisa, Mari, Nordette, Jade, JD, Margie, Kate and everyone who ever loved, was loved, or inspired with a word, a thought, a look, a smile or a kiss. What an amazing world this is.

Oh, and God. It may be my life but it is your universe. Thanks for letting me in the game.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh no, thank YOU.

God holds us all in the palm of his hand.

He has great things in store for all of us.

~a. reader

Copyright © William F. DeVault | All Rights Reserved