Wednesday, November 22, 2006

Things I am thankful for (part 2)

I've added the flyer for the party on December 14th to the website...you can check it out at www.cityoflegends.com.

More things I'm thankful for? Hmmm...there's a lot. I believe in gratitude. I earnestly believe it should be one of the primary emotions towards God, not greed or fear or hate, which seem to be so prevalent in the image of the Christian Faith in the media, and perhaps to some degree deservedly so.

I could have died so many times along the path, accidents, disease, homicide. I've been shot at. I had a faithless lover admit having unprotected sex with a dealer in exchange for a handful of drugs. I've thrice, at least, run fevers that red-lined thermometers. I've had my vehicle t-boned at 70 miles an hour.

I have some scars I cannot and will not allow to be explained, their presence is a very intimate reminder of this remarkable life that I am grateful for.

I have had, regardless of what some may think, remarkable luck in life and love. Remarkable, at least in part, because I do not think I am automatically entitled to anything.

I am grateful for what I have seen, felt, heard, touched, tasted, experienced and imagined in this life. I am thankful for this life.

And it is far from over...it is difficult getting back on my feet after the last few years. My wounds, emotional and fiscal, are mostly self-inflicted, or at least due in part to trusting the wrong people too much and too well. But I believe in the force of the will, the Will I am. Nancy used to say that where there's a William, there's a way.

I believed in her. So, I must believe in me. And remember to be grateful, tomorrow, for the poetry, the dreams, the kisses, the magic, the fire, the snows, the words, the visions, the books, the music, the touch, the smiles, the dreams, the hugs, the curve of a woman's hip, the warmth of a friendly dog's breath, California nights looking out over the city of Los Angeles, deathly silent mornings sitting in a snowdrift in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan, the purposeful pain of a discovered but unpleasant truth, the poems found in common words, the sound of a lover's sleeping breath, the eloquence of truth, the beauty of time, the grace of lachrymose moments, legendary nights in Venice Beach, the quintessence of the amomancies born in a city of legends I carry within me.

I am...overwhelmed with delight at my life. Grateful. Thankful. Humbled.

0 comments:

Copyright © William F. DeVault | All Rights Reserved