Sunday, November 26, 2006

At Issue with Rev. Al Sharpton

I am going to get some pretty strong response to what I am about to say, but I have to say it. I am obliged to say it.

The Rev. Al Sharpton has said he refuses to accept comedian Michael Richard's apology for a racial charged series of remarks he made when he lost control at a performance in LA last week.

Sorry, Rev. You have a choice, accept the apology, or remove your title. The Bible, which your title hangs upon, instructs us very clearly to accept all apologies. I agree there needs to be more than a apology, both for the sake of the people who have been insulted and for the comedian's own spiritual and psychological well-being.

But Jesus, the guy whose name you invoke everytime you write your name, instructed those who followed His teachings to forgive everyone. There is a debate as to whether you can forgive someone if they don't ask for forgiveness, but once they ask, you have to give it.

If you were Senator Al Sharpton, or President Al Sharpton, or Al Sharpton, Esq., I would not take exception with your words. But you are 'the Reverend'. This is a compulsory act for all Christians, forgiveness is automatic, even as God forgives us.

Yes, it is a pain in the neck, forgiving people. There are many people I have had to spend long hours dealing with anger towards. People who have harmed me, my family and my loved ones. Ex wives. Mass murderers. Televangeists who own luxury cars. Spammers. But, just as we can and must separate our Christian love of everyone from whether or not we like the person, we must separate the societal and personal penalties for our actions from the forgiveness that is demanded of us.

Even the Lord's Prayer, one of the simplest and best known elements of the Christian faith, invokes "Forgive us our trespasses as we forgive those who trespass against us."

I have no issue with anyone taking issue with Michael Richard's tirade. I, myself, have great issue with his words. I have also great issue with anyone wishing to keep the kettle boiling in the face of direct commandment of their own faith to forgive him and move on.

There is nothing constructive to be gained by not forgiving him. There is no healing without forgiveness. Please, Rev., find it in your heart to forgive. For your own sake and those people, myself included, who have admired your passion and ministry.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have a pretty strong response to what you have to say about Sharpton's unforgiving stance. I have heard and read more about Michael Richards' tirade this week than I've heard about American dissatisfaction over our involvement in Iraq, or genocide or the marginalizing of the poor and uneducated. As ugly as Michael Richards' behavior was, it was in fact, something that occurred in a comedy club.

I'm sorry for all of the people who had to witness his foul response to the "hecklers";

I'm sorry for the men who'd paid money to be entertained and were instead singled out and verbally abused;

I'm even sorry for Michael Richards. I believe he will suffer the consequences of his behavior for many years, and if he truly has that much hate in his heart, he has a lot of "work" to do before he can be at peace with himself and before anyone will trust him again. He did have the courage to apologize in a very public way for his debasement of the men in his audience. However poorly executed, he did appear to be truly disgusted and bewildered by his own actions. It could not have been an easy thing to do.

I'm sorry that the "public" would choose to be distracted by this unfortunate event, instead of focusing on the many blessings we have in our country.

I currently have the least bit of sympathy for Sharpton. He missed a great opportunity to rise above the gossip and speculation. He missed an opportunity to be a leader. I hope he will amend his stance, and use his position to mend fences, rather than put up divisive walls. I do think it is important to remember that famous Reverand or not, he too is just a man, and therefore will have human reactions disappointing events.

Your post was the first position I'd heard lamenting Rev. Al Sharpton's position. Thank you for bringing the real issue home.

I find it interesting that on Late Night with David Letterman, Jerry Seinfeld (and Dave) showed more heart, loyalty and class in this instance than a man whose job it was to lead.

I realize this response is long. However, I do appreciate the opportunity to share my views with someone who seemed to understand them before I'd formulated them completely. Thanks again for your perspective.

I don’t believe you’ll get too many negative responses from your post. I may be a new reader, but you seem to be willing and able to look at many perspectives, and respectfully agree to disagree. I hope your views will be treated in kind.

-A.Reader

Copyright © William F. DeVault | All Rights Reserved