Sunday, November 05, 2006

Why I hate my guitarist

In his never-ending drive to be more of a pain than E.J., my guitarist with The Gods of Love, Izzy, just sent me a musical offering. And a challenge. I'm to build a lyric to go with this two minute and four second dance riff. He's already provided all the musical layers, and I am not to edit the music in any way, just assemble and perform a lyric.

I hate my guitarist, Izzy.

The music is uptempo, bouncy. Usually when I hear music I can close my eyes and get an image. When I close my eyes for this I see a room full of people, dancing and laughing. It's like a big beer party. In Philadelphia. In the Seventies. A definite secondary layer of funk in there. And how many drums does he have on this thing? Sheesh.

I don't do beer parties, but I do accept challenges (especially from the guy responsible for the remarkable sound that is "Wordslinger" and "Brisant Revelations"). So, Izzy, m'boy, you are most definitely on. I'll include the final product in next week's podcast.

Now I must begin to marshall my forces for Tuesday night. I have been very tired of late, worn down to the quick. I am trying, with mixed success, to force myself out of it. I may be coming down with something, or have just, finally, found the limit of my endurance. I have a had a year most people would envy as a lifetime, in terms of sheer creative productivity.

Aeons ago my first love, Nancy, introduced me to a song by Cat Stevens entitled "But I Might Die Tonight"...and there have been times in my life when it kept me moving when all purpose went out of me. I am not without purpose today, just energy. Unusual for me, but not unique.

Very excited, I am, about the book and CD release party next month. But, before I can get to that...a CD and a book and a half remain t complete.

2 comments:

Ms. Adams said...

What's this? A party? Just send the limo for me, darling. ;-)

Anonymous said...

Well, tch. I like parties TOO.
And you should LOVE your guitarist.
Maybe instead of coming down with something, you should be getting down with something.
(1970's terminology for really getting into a dance riff.)
Too fun. Live a little. I'm starting to think you have a bad, sullen attitude, a little like that crabby dad in the Sound of Music.
Displaying bad attitudes can be sooo unattractive. Unless you are being tounge in cheek about it...Then it is kind of interesting.

~Dancing Queen

Copyright © William F. DeVault | All Rights Reserved