Tuesday, November 28, 2006

too many ideas...

I realized as I sat down this morning to blog that it is not that I don't have any ideas for the topic, I have too many. I need to sort those out and prioritize, as I find most audiences have a problem with anyone who writes about too many things.

It rattles our need to keep things simple. We actually consider a lack of complexity a virtue. Of course, this means that even nature is lacking in virtue, as most things that actually work are more than one-cause-and-one-effect-and-there-ya-go!

I worked with a new class last night and in the course of the evening went around the room and had everyone in the room interview a partner. The number of people who came forward and said they wrote poetry was surprising. I asked one of them my classic protege qualifier as to what poetry was to them:

"Is it a hobby, a job, a career, an obsession or a religion?"

He answered "At one time it was a passion, an obsession, but I seem to have lost it since my divorce."

I reassured him that the muse was merely taking a vacation. I once had that happen for several years, leading up to my auto accident, when it came back with the roar of a panther and a vengeance. Whether or not you view what happened in my personal life at the time as a good idea or a dumb one, you have to admit, when the muse came back, she came back with galleon of gold for ransom for my soul.

0 comments:

Copyright © William F. DeVault | All Rights Reserved