Thursday, November 30, 2006

The Beasts beat the Gods

Well, the war of words is over...and "Beasts of Legend" wins by a landslide.

It's not that the other two pieces from THE LAST ROMANTIC VERB did not have defenders or champions, it is just that most felt that of the three choices, musically, lyrically and in terms of my performance, that one was closer to a real orgasm, you know, the kind where you lose control of your limbs and moan in Latin.

And that's good, right?

Actually, I almost have to agree. Listening to the three pieces again, with the comments of the reviewers in mind, it is just such a strong piece. KISSES FOR KARMA is great, but it is just a single work, barely three minutes in duration. THE GODS OF LOVE, LIVE AT KYRIENAR is but five and a half minutes, but contains three works, but some people prefer the more studio, less organic feel on "Beasts...". So there you have it.

My son, Dante, called last night...he wanted to talk about Runescape, the online game he and I and his brother Elric have begun playing together. We had a very nice talk...and then Elric came on and wanted to continue the conversation and also discuss the cellphone he wants for Christmas.

The thing that makes the whole story amusing is that I was about five feet from a shower when he called...so I conducted the entire 40-minute conversation laying on my back with my arms full of towels.

Oh, and Elric? Having worked in a school...the answer on the phone is "No". I agree there are times and places where a 13 year old can benefit from having their own phone. But the opportunity for the level of abuse of that privilege far outweighs the possibility that you are going to be kidnapped by aliens who will, in all ignorance, not see that you have a phone on you while they are transporting you to the mothership.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Brilliant! Excellent choice.
-Ardent Fan

Anonymous said...

I have a small, unexplored spot in my education. Sadly, I never studied the foundation of all romance languages...so I wouldn't know about speaking in tongues.

Maybe you could provide an
on-line course.

Love your selection, by the way.

Respectfully,

Rita

Copyright © William F. DeVault | All Rights Reserved