Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Note to CNN: Stretching a point isn't news

Theology 101 for CNN: Pregnancy is not what made Mary, the fiance of Joseph the carpenter, the Virgin Mary. It was the fact that she became pregnant by means other than doing the wild thing after a late night party.

I saw a headline on CNNs website: "Life Imitates Art".

It seems that 16 year old actress Keisha Castle-Hughes, who plays the Virgin Mary in the new movie "The Nativity", is now pregnant by her 19 year old boyfriend.

I didn't realize that the Virgin Mary had a 19 year old boyfriend. Oh, she didn't? Then "life imitates art" might be stretching the point a bit.

I am not judging the actress, in a nation where a sizable portion of children are now born out of wedlock (mostly because as a society, we have seen heterosexuals make a lawyer's game of divorce to the point that the institution is not valued anymore, contrary to the paranoia by the Religious Right that somehow homosexuals are defiling the institution when they want to make a commitment and have it solemnified by the state or the church) there is nothing particularly shocking about a sexually active child (16 is under 18, legal definition child) getting pregnant by her boyfriend. I still believe that children should be conceived and born in a stable relationship, and marriage, both legally and religiously, was designed for that purpose

What is going to be interesting is to see how much hay the 24 hour news channels are going to make over either the vilification of this young woman or the "eerie parallel" that the girl who played Jesus' mother is now going to be a mother. Hey, guys, I understand Julia Roberts once played a character who drove a car...and now...she drives one in real life. Eerie...

Get real, kids. Why not report about Britney Spears' seeking custody of her children during her quickie divorce from some guy whose name is already a trivia question, announcing she's "ready to party" and hitting the town with Paris Hilton? I would love to be in family court the day those two losers go at it over who makes a better parent, any sane judge would rescue the kids and declare them orphans. But we will get 24 hour coverage on all of this, just reinforcing to our kids the notion that marriage is not worth a bucket of warm piss.

Hand-wringers: We should let gays marry...they couldn't mess up or defile the institution any more than we have. They might actually do better, they seem to have some sense of value for it.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Fantastic post, Bill, and proof that a well-written post doesn't guarantee lots of comments. I don't know how closely you pay attention to stats, but I've noticed that even my posts that I consider to be pretty darn good, while they may get lots of hits and people actually linger to read (which suggests someone else thinks it's good too), readers rarely leave comments.

On the other hand, I do have comments turned off at Goddess right now. People have to go to one of my other spots if they want to comment. But guess what? Comments off seems to have paid an unusual dividend. Someone who didn't realize she could comment at ToutBon, decided to write a blog post about me instead. :-) You might like her blog too. It's a lingerie blog ;-) with links to sex kitten bloggers. LOL Here's the link.

*see the kiss*

Nordette

Anonymous said...

Nordette is right. Deafening silence from readers shouldn't lead you to believe that no one is paying attention. They are.

Some readers don't leave posts because they are running late for work, or can't articulate a response, OR because they don't want to leave the impression that they hang on your every word (even if they do).

I cracked up when I read "not worth a bucket of warm piss", Last week I bookmarked a page of Amy Sedaris' new book,
I Like you : Hospitality Under the Influence. You don't have to be a lush to enjoy this kitschy collection.
The bookmarked page involved the idea of keeping a specially labeled bucket filled with candy for when things aren't going as planned. A suggestion from Paul Sedaris involved labeling it the "_uck-it Bucket." So see, your posts do take your readers places, even if you don't hear about it...

~Wry Tersblock

P.S. When faced with bizzare stories that make the news, I often repeat my little mantra "H.C." An inside joke for bad spellers. It stands for "Who Cares" circa 1983 along with "FO-AD". I've stopped watching the news, attempting to shape my own reality, rather than be fed drivel from the 11:00 news. I'd rather pick and choose my news sources, based on trust and interest.

As Always, Thanks for the news.

Anonymous said...

The name "Wry Tersblock." LOL I love it! I was slow on the uptake, but when I got it, great laugh.

Nordette

Anonymous said...

Dear Nordette,

Even though I've never met you, I believe you have great taste, and a wicked sense of humor.

Interesting Dec. 3rd post on NJ Spoken Word by the way.

A.Reye Reed

Copyright © William F. DeVault | All Rights Reserved