Tuesday, December 20, 2005

Virtual makeover

Yeah, I can see a few thousand things about me, on the surface, to change...

Truth is, most of my life, I have been dependent on a woman to tell me what changes to make...intentionally isolating myself for a time has wreaked havoc on my style sense.

Hair: I need a trim...not to get rid of the ponytail, but to tidy it...I have great hair for a guy my age, and I'm not ashamed of it. Besides, having spent time as a drug counselor, I know the in-fashion of almost shaving your head originated in the drug culture...as hair tests for drug use have been used to catch habitual users.

Basically, my long is my proof I've not touched anything at least in the last few years (truth is, ever...but I can't prove that easily)...I did have someone once tell me my hair makes me look like a drug dealer. I told them all the drug dealers I've met have hair like Marines.

The beard...I'm forever making tweaks and twitches to it. Still am not 100% happy with it...don;t know what to do with it.

Weight. Yeah, I know...I am still about a 25 pounds down from when I bailed out of Mississippi...but that's not enough for me...I need to do more. More exercise, less carbs. And a distraction, a motive...ideally about 5'6" - 5'11" and energetic...as willing to take on a project as I have been over the years.

Mode of dress. Well, yes, I'd like to dress nicer...you going to buy me the clothes? All my leftover money goes to people with legal or moral claims to it that pre-date and prioritize over my need for a new black shirt. Besides, if I start losing weight, it will all just be overpriced donations to Goodwill in short order. At least I have the good sense to realize I have little taste in matching colours so I buy all black, down to my socks and underwear.

Mode of speech. Get real. The only people who have problems with my speech are those for whom English isn't quite a second language. Yes, I have a larger than average vocabulary...and yes, I use it. You know what? I'm not ashamed of it. God made me. But S/He made me smart. Not to hide it. If you can't keep up, don't curse me for your sloth...read a book. Ideally, one of mine.

Posture. Okay, I know...I tend to slouch...not as bad as when I was a teenager, but I can go all Silly Putty on you.

Attitude. You know, I don't get skewered for arrogance like I use to in my youth (people often mistook my shyness for a sense of superiority) but I am accused of being a bit brazen. I earned it. Too much of this life's troubles are cause by failures to communicate. Real failures. 90% of my conflict with my daughter would go away if she'd talk to me. Most lies are never verified (or the accused allowed to defend themselves...I hate it when someone believes something about me or someoneone else without anything more than conjecture...remind me to tell you a couple of whoppers I've had to deal with...)

So, all in all, a good starting point. Hmmm...if I win the lottery I could get new clothes, hire a trainer and get my hair done.

There ya go.

0 comments:

Copyright © William F. DeVault | All Rights Reserved