Thursday, December 29, 2005

the savaging of the truth

There's the truth.

And there's what people would like to be true.

As such, I have been asked to rewrite my histories to reflect, not a restrained truth, but an edited one...one that ignores the truth, and all aspects of it, in favour of that which is palatable and user-friendly. To douse the lights, that darkness and shadows may prevail. That truth may be obscured.

We shall see what I do over the next several days. Out of an abiding sense of obligation I may acquiesce, not because I wish to, but because it protects the interests of someone I hold dear and have made solemn promise to, to protect, even at the cost of my own soul.

It is a shame that there are those who would depend on honor to rape reality. It is a shame that there are those who make their livings aiding in such perversions of honor. Shame is a cheap commodity in this graceless age.

In the end, lies win battles. Even wars. But truth endures and usually outs. Given a choice between an uncomfortable truth and a comfortable lie, I have always, I hope, chosen the former. But I am human and apologize for those times in past, where weakness placed other considerations about honesty.

So, if you see history being rewritten or obscured in the near term, do not think it is revisionism for any reason other than out of respect to do no harm and to keep a promise, however lopsided the world is made. My clear conscience is now made muddy.

I apologize to you, my readers, to God and to history.

0 comments:

Copyright © William F. DeVault | All Rights Reserved