Wednesday, December 21, 2005

discussing 'glass roses'

The poem, "glass roses" is rapidly becoming one of my most popular pieces, ever. Originally written online in a moment of inspiration while talking with my editor emeritus, Jan Innes, I don't fully understand it, yet...I do know the following about it:

1) The phrase "a white fragrance" was inspired, in my mind's eye, through a melding of honeysuckle, jasmine and lilac. Why? I just don't know.

2) "Passion and pride put down and sacrificed" is a theme I use elsewhere...the whole notion being that, to love, one must surrender one's energies and dignity, or at least be willing to.

3) Yes, I love the word "photic".

4) "My brother, the night, takes me" is a throwback reference to "my electric lady"...this poem brings full circle the image of surrendering love to destiny, and, instead, offers surrendering destiny to love.

5) In the end, the poem is about surrender and the wonder of romantic love. It states firmly that even though I had not yet, and still haven't, and probably won't "in this incarnation" find it, I know it is out there, for others to find, to enjoy, to become part of.

glass roses

conceive of a flower.
like no other.
no colour,
but the curving clarity,
the photic charity
of crystalline silence.
past the rainbow's violence.
a white fragrance,
white as a virgin's first kiss,
or the lost heartbeat I gave over
to the universe when
first we met,
when first I set my sails
for a new horizon,
passion and pride put down
and sacrificed
to the gods of love.
to the holders of dreams.
to the bearers of my gift.
to wings that take their lift
from the winds of sorrow.
a meadow of perfect blossoms
refracting the light you give me
onto a page of history and hope.
my brother, the night, takes me,
and I am not tomorrow anymore.
but my words endure.
pure
as a field of glass roses.
row upon perfect chaotic row
not discovered in this incarnation.
but they are out there.


William F. DeVault. all rights reserved. all wrongs righted. all songs yet unsung scheduled for sometime next year.

0 comments:

Copyright © William F. DeVault | All Rights Reserved