Tuesday, December 13, 2005

Thus endeth the sermon

Okay, he's dead. You've proven that we can, as a society, thumb our noses at the rest of the world and basic Christian theology.

I'm going to drop the topic after this posting. I always hated to hear from people about what I've done wrong after I've done it...

I do promise that I will not again vote for a politician who supports capital punishment. Despite my affection for certain office holders and office seekers, I will stay at home and sit on my hands rather than have blood on them, for we are all guilty...the Bible says "Even those that take pleasure them that do so" are as guilty of the sin. I've got enough on my conscience already in this life.

Murder isn't on the list. And I'm not going to add it for the purposes of political expediency.

Amen

1 comments:

LA Sunset said...

Like everyone else that I discover that has linked to PYY, I wanted to thank you for doing so in one of your earlier posts.

I too share your opposition to the death penalty for other reasons, as well as the one you present. I do have a problem with the state saying who can live and who can die, in any form or capacity. I feel this is dangerous because of two reasons.

Reason #1:

I would rather a guilty man live than an innocent man die. We know mistakes have been made and will likely be made, again.

Reason #2:

This penalty has the potential to be abused by any state, even our own.

I feel that we only do this for the victims' families and their need for revenge. But as we both know, nothing will ever be able to bring back that loved one.

But know that I do understand the very nature of heinous and I do understand sorrow and grief. I know that there is great pain and suffering that is felt by the families of a murder victim. The very nature of that crime angers them and me. And being the fallible mortal being that I am, there are times that I have come to the conclusion that there are certain people that deserve to be executed for the heinous crimes that they did, in fact, commit.

If anyone ever deserved it, it would be Tookie. As I see it, he never showed any remorse and never made an effort to atone. I have a hard time equating writing children's books with either remorse or atonement.

But I still think that keeping him out of the public and in a cell for the rest of his life, is adequate and a more miserable punishment than death.

I know it's cheaper in the long run to feed them and let them live. The death penalty attorneys charge a lot of money, money that is paid by you and me, the taxpayer. They rack those billing hours up.

Again, thank you for visiting Political Yen/Yang. I will be back to visit here soon and by all means, feel free to visit me and leave any comments you wish, whether you agree or not. I welcome all intelligent dissenting opinions, not just those that agree with me.

Copyright © William F. DeVault | All Rights Reserved