Thursday, December 08, 2005

Imagine

In the middle of watching Monday Night Football one December's night years ago, I heard Howard Cosell announces that John Lennon had been shot and killed.

I didn't know what to say...there are a handful of moments in your life that you know where you were when you got some news.

For me those were:

President Kennedy's assassination
The Challenger Explosion
John Lennon's killing

That's it...I can't even say for sure I recall the exact moment when man first walked on the moon with the same clarity.

The greatest compliment I have ever been paid by a colleague wasn't when they compared me or my writings to Donne or Blake or Poe or Byron...it was when Deborah Atherton compared me to John Lennon in an offhand comment. I had such respect for his humour, his intellect and his spirituality (yes, spirituality...not something you normally associate with the man, but he had, I believe a very intimate spirituality, one he didn't share with people because of how prized it was to him).

Anyway, John. We miss you. This world isn't perfect, but you gave us a little nudge in the right direction.

Imagine what we could accomplish if we'd listen, just once, instead of killing each other.

0 comments:

Copyright © William F. DeVault | All Rights Reserved