Saturday, September 17, 2005

Podcasting concepts and Terrapin Stew

I've already received some feedback/input regrding concepts for the podcasting project. Worthy ideas, most of them.

Yes, I agree, using themes or moods makes more sense, for the most part, than most ideas. My current thoughts run this way:

*One program of the gentler romantic works. Perhaps "The Unicorns", "The Patchwork Skirt of My Love", "We Owe Debt to Memory" and others of that ilk. I like the idea, since Yahoo was kind enough to call me the "Romantic poet of the Internet" I might as well live up to the name (although the word "romantic" is so improperly used anymore...(10-20 minutes)

*One track or program or show of "seductions", works that are romantic in their own way, but with a definite bent towards seduction, such as "Hold You" and "Warm Breath Stirs Soft Flesh". Something to play while putting the moves on the warm body sitting on the sofa. (10-20 minutes)

*How about a selection of the "prophetic works", pieces like "Horizon" and "TRIUMPH" and "From Out of the City"? (10-20 minutes)

*Perhaps a full reading of "The Goldenheart Cycles"? I'm actually leaning against it... a few of the works definitely deserve it, but much of that cycle of cycles is filler. (20-30 minutes)

*A standard reading set, designed to give the feel of one of my shows? "I rained poetry" and "Love Gods of a Forgotten Religion" would certainly find their way. The former has become my "New Shoes"...fellow poet Ruth Solomon has this one work called "New Shoes" that, whenever she does a reading, if anyone in the audience is familiar with her works, people would call out for her to do that one..."I rained poetry" has become my most requested work in readings, much as "glass roses" is the most commonly visited poem at the website. (20-30 minutes. Yes, I know I usually go for an hour or two...but the bandwidth would be staggering there...)

"A "book-centric" set, targeting one or more of my books, which would serve practically as an audio advertisement for my volumes.

This is certainly a thought. I'd rate the worthiness of the books to have their own show to be (top to bottom):
-INVOCATO,
-Love Gods of a Forgotten Religion,
-From An Unexpected Quarter,
-The Morgantown Suite Poems,
-The Compleat Panther Cycles,
-101 Great Love Poems.

But, from a marketing standpoint, it should be in this order:
-The Compleat Panther Cycles,
-The Morgantown Suite Poems,
-101 Great Love Poems,
-INVOCATO.
-From An Unexpected Quarter and
-Love Gods...(10-15, each!)

If you have any thoughts, send them my way. Particular ideas for shows, particular content. I might also do some single shots, 3-5 minute storyteller versions of particular poems, these can be used as filler or daisychained together by listeners.

Oh yeah, before I forget...Go Mountaineers! Beat Maryland today at football! My prediction (I suck at this but what the heck, WVU victorious, 23-17)

WVU's rivalry with the Terps is nowhere near where the legendary Pitt and Penn State rivalries of a quarter centry ago (Bobby Bowden, when he coached here, used to say that if a coach went 9-2 but lost those two games, he'd be fired, but if we went 2-9 and beat Penn State and Pitt, he'd have a lifetime contract) but I would prefer we have some turtle soup.

0 comments:

Copyright © William F. DeVault | All Rights Reserved