Sunday, September 11, 2005

Football am not my life

In the doldrums between event days. That's alright by me, I've said my sentimental piece and will now get back to it. In yhe past and in promises unlikely to be kept are nice places to visit, but lousy places to dwell.

West Virginia University (WVU) won their home opener yesterday. Congratulations. No, I don't get all excited about a game or a team, although I do like it when WVU (and the Pittsburgh Steelers) win. I just don't surrender my self-esteem to another person or entity's success. It's not emotionally healthy. I'd rather hang my self-esteem on my own accomplishments. Must be something in the beer (I wonder if future historians will view beer the way we view the lead in Rome's aqueduct system?)

I wonder what future civilizations will say about our addiction to other people's status as a substitute for our own status. I noticed when I lived in the DC suburbs so many people who, if the Washington Redskins won, came to work on Monday feeling good about themselves, and if they lost, came to work feeling bad about themselves. How unhealthy. And, utterly, pathetic. Surrendering yourself to being a reactive piece of fluff to the performance of others?

I view it a lot like people who insist upon wearing clothing with large advertisements on it. Now, if I was being paid to play human billboard, that would be one thing, but to pay a premium price for the right to be used as a walking advertisement, that's pretty twisted, in my mind.

I see E.J. has weighed in on THEOCRICIDE. Dude, if the book freaks you so, you don't have to apply to the editor's slot, you know?

My thoughts and prayers are still with not only those people I know and knew, love and loved, from the Gulf Coast, but also with all from that region who have suffered or lost. I lost irreplaceable personal effects to the storm, but not on the magnitude of a house or a car. I leave those losses, usually, to a divorce. (snarfle)

While on the topic of snarfling...Brigit, wtfru?

0 comments:

Copyright © William F. DeVault | All Rights Reserved