Wednesday, September 07, 2005

A bone to pick with Apple

Not a huge problem, compared to the rest of the world's issues...I just have issues with misleading information, always.

Nearly two weeks ago, I placed an order for my Mac Mini. At the time I was told 1-2 days to be out the door.

Okay...let's start counting.

Order placed: August 26. Add two days, that would be the...er...carry the 7...hmmm...the 28th.

Let's give them the benefit of the doubt and say they don't work weekends at Apple...so it was not going to go out until Tuesday, August 30th.

Er...around the 30th, checking status, I was told it would go out on the 1st...now we're to 6 days.

Late night on the 1st I get an email from Apple, apologizing for missing the deadline. Followed one hour later by an email telling me they'd made the deadline, and giving me a FedEx tracking number.

Now we're back on track kids, even by ground, tracking FedEx is a snap...so, package went out on the 1st.

No, on the 2nd.

No, on the 6th. Twelve days. To take an existing configuration machine off the rack and put a mailing label on it.

Seems they slapped a pre-printed FedEx label on the box, late night on the 1st...

transmitted the label information to FedEx on the evening of the 2nd,
and the package was actually picked up by FedEx on the 6th...
now a scheduled delivery date of the 12th.

If I had been told that as an approximate delivery date on the 26th, no problem. But the shifting of expectations is leaving a sour taste in my mouth:

So let's see:

Ordered on August 26th.

Sent out/to be sent out on: The 8/30/. No, 9/1. No, really, we sent it out on 9/1. No, we didn't, we sent it out on 9/2. Er...actually we sent it...it just didn't get to FedEx for 4 days after that, er five days after that...

Hey guys, I don't mind slowness, I mind disingenuousness, even if it is just part of a sloppy handling process. You;re Apple, for heaven's sake, the best computer company on the face of the planet. Don't suffer from pretty girl syndrome, where you know people want you so you don't have to perform, just eventually show up.

Had I been told on the 1st, or the 2nd that it wouldn't be out the door until the 6th, I may have cancelled my order, just out of peckishness. I had other uses for that money, and could just walk into one of your stores and get the same machine with zero wait time.

0 comments:

Copyright © William F. DeVault | All Rights Reserved