Sunday, April 16, 2006

The tenth question: defining my faith

Hey, got so wrapped up in the podcast problems I failed to answer the tenth question. I received several interesting ones to fill that slot...but this one begged a response, in consideraton of the season...

You make a lot of scriptural, theological and mythological references in your poetry. What are your religious views?
Wow. I'll give you the bullet, as the full explanation would probably take several volumes and start a new world religion, requiring me to throw myself on a pyre someplace. Not interested in martyrdom.

I joke sometimes my faith is firmly entrenched in the best Buddheo-Christian traditions. I was born and raised in the Christian faith, and believe in it, with every ounce of my being. That having been said, I haven't encountered a whole lot of people interested in pursuing the faith laid down by Christ and the Apostles...too busy being "pragmatic".

I think that killing is morally and theologically wrong.

I believe non-violence is the right solution to nearly everything.

I believe in sacrifice as an act of love and the power of a charitable heart.

I believe in second chances.

I believe in free will.

I do not believe that God intercedes in everyday life as a matter of course...this would negate free will as it would be obvious that those who follow God benefit from it and everyone would jump in out of greed. Of course, following this logic, I have the same problem with anyone who seeks God out of fear of death or desire for a reward, in this life or the next.

I think gratitude is the best core on which to build one's faith. I already have received my life, my sentience, and for all my efforts to seemingly make a muck of it from time to time, I am grateful for this greatest gift. I think, I believe, I know that if more people came to God out of gratitude and love than greed and fear, the church, this nation, this world would be a better place.

There, that any better? I currently am involved with the Society of Friends, whom most call "Quakers". I have been baptized as both a Baptist and an Episcopalian, and I know worthy souls of many, many faiths.

Oh, Happy Easter, all. (Speaking of second chances.)

0 comments:

Copyright © William F. DeVault | All Rights Reserved