Thursday, April 20, 2006

No, the other Johnson

I received a lovely email from a young lady yesterday - she's putting up a tribute site to four actors she admires and wanted permission to use some of my poetry as part of the project. I assented (I rarely withhold permission) but what blew my mind was a curious coincidence...one of the four actors is Robert Davi, whom I am acquainted with. Terrific guy and a grossly undervalued actor in today's market. Anyone who has thrown down with Brice Willis ("Die Hard", in which he was the trigger happy Viet Nam vet FBI agent Johnson (No, the other one)), Elizabeth Berkeley ("Showgirls", which I trashed when I was a film reviewer at AOL, but singled him, Gina Ravenna and Gina Gershon out as not deserving to be dragged through the streets behind an oxcart for their involvement with this film) and Timothy Dalton's James Bond ("License to Kill", wherein his Sanchez was recognized as one of the most popular Bond villains of all time) is okay by me.

In recent years he has been heavily involved with the educational group I-Safe, you can see their work through their website at www.isafe.org which seeks to help parents understand the dangers of and protect their children from the perils of the internet. As a parents myself, anyone who steps up to help protect my kids is okay in my book...too many people just take the money and run. And there are dangers on the web. No renaissance has ever been without those who exploit it to their own dark and selfish means, light casts shadows, you know.

Besides, you haven't really lived until you've heard him sing opera in his kitchen (he's a trained voice and is quite good, actually). But enough love on the craggy faced tough guy...on to the poetry stuff....

Tag reports he got his final proof of his book and it looks fab. Attaboy, Kohai. You are now an official "author"...you, too, can get chicks and harrass editors.

Tonight I will be releasing my weekly podcast (I will be too busy tomorrow and Saturday, so I figured I'd put it to bed early). Look in it for a couple of pleasant enough reads including my new work "Hold the Bridge"...somewhat in your face, no? Also some definitive word on my publishing plans for the next eight months.

0 comments:

Copyright © William F. DeVault | All Rights Reserved