Tuesday, April 18, 2006

the dog-and-poet show

Ran into "Saint Thomas" yesterday at B&N. We discussed the fall of Western Civilization and he bought a copy of THE COMPLEAT PANTHER CYCLES as a gift for a friend, having me sign it in the store. (rousing round of applause)

He says he has yet another essay on my psychological deconstruction, and I told him to send it along...I do not agree with all of his conclusions, but some of his assessments are spot on and I find it refreshing that someone would "speak truth to power"...most beople are too polite or too afraid of the consequences. He is neither, thank God.

He had with him a friend, and I wish I could recall his name, but you know me with names...who is a poet, and has the facility to summon up his works to recite, cold. I used to be able to do that...I didn't get old, I just got too big of a catalog. There's maybe a dozen or so I could toss off without a thought or a referring text. I encouraged him to attend the open microphone event they are having on Thursday.

To add my two cents to the dog-and-poet-show I seized a copy of my FROM AN UNEXPECTED QUARTER off the shelf and there, in the aisle, did an impromptu performance of "Damascus: Movement Three" (you know, the one that starts "Aphrodite does not barter her beauty for hollow promise...") It was invigorating and a worthy warm up for Saturday's to-do.

0 comments:

Copyright © William F. DeVault | All Rights Reserved