Thursday, April 27, 2006

a good evening for making connections

Just got back in from a pleasant evening...I went to hear author/actor David Selby, one of my fellow AEI "Art & Soul" honorees reading from his works at the local Barnes&Noble. It was a blast, and we had a nice visit (I gave him a copy of THE MORGANTOWN SUITE POEMS, he gave me a copy of MY MOTHER'S AUTUMN)...and he signed his page in my copy of the Appalachian Education Initiative's book.

As two of the three surviving Morgantown High School graduates (Don Knotts passed away a few months ago) along with the great Lawrence Kasdan, it was inevitable we'd cross paths, and I decided it was time we met. Great guy. The "Falcon Crest" and "Dark Shadows" actor was engaging, literate and eloquent (actors who write present their material well...no doubt) but I also have to say, the man can write and I would recommend his books to anyone.

Perhaps, after you buy ALL of my books, and then Dan McTaggart's MIDNIGHT MUSE... and Mari Laureano's erotic tour de force THE FAIRYTALE JOURNALS, you should invest in this man's work. He writes from the heart and expresses himself beautifully. My only problem was, after the reading, I was all the more homesick for Los Angeles...

I also got to meet two thirds of the The Wilson - Tay - Wilson Trio, who are having a CD release party Saturday Night at the Monongalia Arts Center, flutist/vocalist Jenny Wilson and bassist Nathan Wilson. I'll be going to the party, especially after Nathan and I had a very focused discussion on the necessity for "local artists" to begin synergizing more. If you're in the area, drop by...free eats and good music. That's Saturday, April 29th, at 7pm at the MAC in Morgantown, WV.

0 comments:

Copyright © William F. DeVault | All Rights Reserved