Saturday, April 29, 2006

night night

seriously surreal evening.

seriously.

Went to the Monongalia Arts Center for a free CD release concert party for the Wilson-Tay-Wilson jazz trio. Tag was there, a few people I know marginally, including that one woman who was at the David Selby the other evening and never stopped scowling at me. Did I once date a daughter of hers? What?

A woman came up to me and spoke my name. I recognized her instantly. Pam, an old friend from school, whom I do not believe I had seen since the ten years high school reunion...aeons ago. We talked for a bit, exchanging life stories. I met her husband. It was a pleasant encounter.

I stuck around for all but the final set of the concert, then bought a CD, got in my car and headed for Barnes & Noble...my usual hangout. But halfway there a great emotional fatigue settled upon me and I headed home. I know my moods, and this one begs rest and withdrawal from the world for a moment.

I know what triggered it, even.

One of the numbers performed at the concert - "Do You Know What It Means to Miss New Orleans"...

it reminds me of the year I spent in Southern Mississippi, just an hour from the Big Easy and the friends and loved ones I left behind down there. I wish things had worked out better for all concerned, but in the end people choose their own paths. I can say no more without ticking off people who believe that reinvention is better than repentence.

Now, to bed. Early, but an earned rest and respite. The dragons will wait until I rise tomorrow, to slay them again...

0 comments:

Copyright © William F. DeVault | All Rights Reserved