Tuesday, October 03, 2006

Taking a small bite out of the hand that feeds

I had a good meeting today with Chanda Willard, who is the CRM for the Barnes & Noble here in Morgantown, West Virginia. We had a tactile conversation, like two surgeons looking for a lump, to steal from "The Lion in Winter" (which reminds me, my new son-in-law, Brian Harris, appeared in a production of that play in Los Angeles, I never did ask him what role he played...)

The end result is I an the new ringmaster for the open microphone poetry readings there, effective with the one on the evening of October 19, 2006. They will be from 7-9 pm, and we will try and give some theme to them. The first one, however, will be just straight ahead open microphone fun.

The one on Tuesday, November 7th, will have the theme of "Politics as Unusual: Patriotism and Protest" and we'll be asking poets to bring their politically-inspired work to celebrate election day.

If you are a poet interested in being part of the milieu, either drop by B&N before then to get your name on the readings list, or better still drop me an email so I can sign you up! I want all stripes, stars and bars of poets. High school, veteran, academic and street. I want young, old, male, female, straight, gay, NRA and ACLU.

Bring it, my children, bring it.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Too bad I'm a state away, and on the wrong side of the state at that.

Good to see you are still active in poetry. Seems like many of the AOL poets have vanished. I have only recently returned to posting online and haven't bumped into many acquaintances. Not surprising since it's closing in on a decade since I first found myself in Poets Place.

Congrats on your poetry. And my hat off to you for tackling social issues such as Darfur. I'll look you up if I'm ever down your way.

Copyright © William F. DeVault | All Rights Reserved