Friday, October 06, 2006

Rejacking Ani

Rejacking: Connecting to something you had been separated from, by either fate or choice. Tonight I rejacked Ani DiFranco.

Too much baggage, for too long, from my second marriage. My second wife had been a huge Ani fan, had even introduced me to the works of this singularly talented feminist folk-pop singer - songwriter - musician - businesswoman.

So, this evening, I rejacked. I selected the tracks I wanted to hear, leaving the most likely candidate to create an emotional reflex backsquirm for last, put in my earbuds and played:

"32 Flavors" An incredible song. Defiant, clever, descriptive. A challenge to labels.

"Untouchable Face" Some interesting subtext to this work, some of it ironic. Ani had and has a gift for getting to the meat of the complexities of human emotion in her work. I'll never be the musician or songwriter she is. I'll settle on my poetry crown, with grudging admiration.

"Napoleon" Yeah, she's right in this write. Everyone is one, in their own way. I at least admit my grandiose delusions.

finally

"Shy" This was "our song" in my relationship with my ex. Yeah, I know. A very bizarre relationship, but I was glad to be able to do what I did for her and although I am sorry for the sacrifices I had to make the losses I had to take, in their own subtexts, I do not regret the barter of my peripherals for her survival. Not as psychically damaging as I expected (tell me that when I awake tonight at 2 am, hearing voices...) and quite tasty in its own right.

I survived, a twinge here and there, but all great art has its resonances, otherwise it would just be pretty noises.

I'm glad to have the Righeous Babe back in my universe. May you continue to bloom and zoom, Ani.

Now, back to the here, the now and the sphere I am Captain of...maybe some Prince...

0 comments:

Copyright © William F. DeVault | All Rights Reserved