Thursday, October 12, 2006

E.J. analyzes "Nemicorn"

E.J. here...wading in on the tracks proposed for "Nemicorn".

I'm not as detailed as the poet, or as self-critical (you should hear him bitch bitch bitch at every little flaw he perceives in his works and his performances...I know of only two readings he has ever given that he was pleased with). But here is my take:

I love the layering, the build, in "Damascus (3)". First rate, and a nice, short, but not too abrupt, step into the Amomancer's sphere.

"NQ" also referred to as "The Nosferatu's Quandry" is remakably funky and fun. I'd love to see him add this to his appearances. And, if you really listen, his voices crosses the line from reading to singing at several points.

I don't think there are many women alive who could listen to "Right Set of Lips" without going into hormonal overdrive. It's a surprisingly sophisticated (musically) presentation. And the words are letter perfect.

"Falling and Fallen Angels"...now there's something unexpected. A bit dischordant here and there, but that's to keep the listener, I think, from falling asleep. Izzy lays down some electric licks that are designed to make the hair on the back of your neck stand up. The vocals are malevolent, gothic, arcane.

There's a part of me that does not like "Brisant Revelations". Part of it is his abrupt, hiccuping affectation in his read. It works with the music, but it is so odd for him. Part of me wants it off the CD. Part of me wants it to open the disc. The drums are genius.

"Joining in the Machine" creeps me out, but in a nice way. Not sure it needs to eat a slice of this release, but it is amusing and riveting.

As the most nakedly erotic of this collection "Texture of Your Tongue" needs to stay, and I am pleased with the multi-layered musical work that underpins this discussion of a woman's "pink gate to heaven".

"The Faerie (Strange but Beautiful)" slays me everytime I hear it. The pain in the voice of the poet, the words of eternal affection and passion. A hundred years from now, mere mortals will compete by seeing who can give the most emotionally pure reading of this work. And they will all pale, like shadows of a supernova, now long gone. I would like to see this played at his funeral. "To dance, for the fates, my amomancies". Damn.

"Theocricide". Brilliant orchestration. But. I don't think it fits with this piece of his self-flagellation over his failed engagement to Psyche.

I remember him telling me about "Thunder Out of Valhalla". I didn't believe he was going to truly rock out, to the poem "We Owe Debt to Memory". I was wrong. Dude!

"Pink jade - Soft as Dawn" - a Latin flavoured seduction. Curious but very yummy.

"Love Gods (Multivox)". A sonic experiment that worked on so many levels. The voices, every time I listen, I hear something different. I don't know how much time he spent tuning this, or, like with his poetry, he just spread his arms, called to the heavens and pulled a miracle out of his soul, by way of his ass. Regardless.

"Thetis" is practically a naked read. But, as with "The Faerie", he brings that remarkably expressive voice and how can mortals resist being pulled along. He has honed a silver tongue into something more platinum and adamantine.

When I first heard the opening guitar of "Wild and Defiled, along the way" I thought I was hearing something from the Red Hot Chili Peppers. What we get is more pop than that seminal SoCal band, but with the trademark vocal readings. And yes, if you listen close, you can hear Izzy in the background, counting off a cue, at one point.

Finally, the monumental "DARFUR (Jesus Wept)". I think there should be an award in this somewhere for him. He says the truth, and he makes us wake up and see. I won't be the same.

That's my take, and I'm sticking ot it.

0 comments:

Copyright © William F. DeVault | All Rights Reserved