Friday, October 20, 2006

Nemicorns and causes

I went over the proposed tracks in the new CD "Nemicorn" with Kevin "Bear" Bond, a musician friend of mine who may or may not be one of the contributors to the Gods of Love. He agreed with most reviewers that "Wild and Defiled, Along the Way", "Strange but Beautiful", "Brisant Revelations" and particulerly "DARFUR (Jesus Wept)" are the tentpole numbers.

I have to admit a certain fondness for the Multivox of "Love Gods of a Forgotten Religion". But, I have noted that musicians seem less impressed with that track, writers and spoken word artists seem more delighted. That's good for me.

I am considering the possibility of taking my Campaign for Darfur up a notch, but that will have to wait until I get back from visiting my boys this weekend. I have many political, personal and social causes and beliefs, and this is the one of the moment, where I have written and performed something impactive.

Many causes? Yeah.

I'm opposed to the silence of the West on the topic of the holocaust in Darfur.

I have a serious attitude about spousal, actually any, abuse where a man strikes a woman (which is why I think Mike Tyson's recent announcement about wanting to fight women is so sick) or anyone strikes a child.

I believe in better education on drugs and alcohol for young people, and warning labels for alcohol beverage containers, consistent with their dangers. Yes, cigarette smoke kills more poeple, but usually its the user themselves. Very few people kill others, destroy property, get into fights and commit rape under the influence of a pack of Marlboros.

I believe, as a Christian, in the abolition of the death penalty.

I am pro-choice.

I believe the financial reform is the key to political reform and that the power of corporations and congomerates to control the electoral process is why we have been getting and retaining so many mediocre "leaders".

I believe that there is a difference between the pragmatism of life and the pleasure of God.

I believe in love.

Yes, these are purposes I am fixed to, and for, and with.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

If I had a reliable communication device, I would gladly listen to Nemicorn. My server, or profile keeps playing tricks on me, as I use many different computers throughout the day, I am frustrated by different technological responses to simple commands like "attach" and "send."
Each computer I use tends to mess with my profile. Anyway, I hope to find my missing "drafts" someday.

I hope you will instruct those of us who are technologically challenged, through no fault of our own, on how to get copies of this CD into our own hands, Where can I buy this?

I meet people every day, that will never be able to hear the poet because they have an aversion to technology. What are you doing to make sure everyone has the opportunity to hear/read these important words?

I really, REALLY like the Bull Durhammesque quality of this blog in particular. Long movie monologues are a favorite of mine. I'm sure there's a word for it, I just can't remember it. Remember Mr. Smith goes to Washington? Helen's speach [sic}in Raising Helen? The word isn't philabuster, but something like that. I find RIGHTOUS indignation
very sexy, and inspirational at the same time. I'm sure many others would agree. Thanks for the blog, but PUHlease don't leave out those who still enjoy holding a book in their own hands, or putting some music on a turntable.

The clutch comment was funny. I understand the metaphor, at least as it applies to me. (I realize everything isn’t about me). I bought (with a handshake and some cash) a little old car with a stick on Saturday. I will be picking it up first thing Monday morning. Automatics aren't good for every driver, some of us enjoy having the ability to shift when we are good and ready, and not have the car take over. Here's to new clutches, hills, curves, country roads, and being in the driver's seat. Also for the sheer pleasure of holding a good book in your hands. Thanks for the inspiration, W.

Pipi WAAy-Longstocking

William F. DeVault said...

I'll post details on my main blog (too many people don't bother reading the comments!

Copyright © William F. DeVault | All Rights Reserved