Saturday, October 21, 2006

Autism and mirror neurons, et cetera

I read a fascinating pair of articles in the latest Scientific American, about "mirror neurons" and their probable link to autism (having a son who suffers from an autistic spectrum disorder, albeit one of the milder ones, it is a topic of interest to me).

It occurs to me that much of the symptomology they ascribe to autistic children could, in very, very light shading, be applied to me as a child. Perhaps this is where we find the genetic component that makes the ailment more likely. Currently the thinking is that there is a genetic predisposition, that is then triggered by an environmental force. The scientists are debating the actual nature of this trigger, from mercury in vaccines (generally disproven) to too much television to excessive use of ultrasounds to, I think, hearing the voice of Nancy Grace.

I will be following this with interest. My son, Dante, is very dear to me, and although I believe him to be happy and healthy, I also know his life would be easier without the social disability that comes with his condition. I do not pity him, and I am certainly not ashamed of him, I just want him to have the greatest capacity for a full and happy life that is possible.

Besides, all my life I have been fascinated with the workings of the human mind, which explains why I have dated so many psychologists and counselors, I suppose (or they are studying me...). The whole aspect of mirror neurons I find of particular interest, as this may actually explain to me some of the odder points of the "magic gloves" phenomenon I have found in my own life and that has been described by so many creative artist friends of mine, as well as labeled so well by author John Irving in his book "The World According to Garp".

I composed some very interesting fragments on my way back from Virginia today, after a very enjoyable visit with my sons, so keep your eyes (and ears) open. Some of the fragments are a bit edgy, I think the testosterone is trying to make a point. I had a friend the other day who told me that he doesn't think I will really get my full mojo back until I take a lover...he said it is my personality and pattern to only acheive at a high level when it is for someone I am sworn to. Interesting notion. Perhaps we shall see. If my recent productivity is only at a lower gear, I would be interested to see what happens when I pop the clutch and get traction on the scrith of life.

I realize today is a high water mark in the public campaign to raise awareness of the humanitarian crisis in Darfur, with the concerts all over the place, but don't let yourself slide into the thinking that now that the concerts are over, the work is done. The battle is just beginning. Our neighbors are counting on us. It is time to show that America is not great because we are the only nation in recorded history to use atomic weapons on another people, or because of our broken treaties with the indigenous peoples of our land, or because we don't think the Geneva Conventions apply to us, but because we are charitable and brave and steadfast.

Be nice to be known for something other than the ignorance, greed and arrogance of our officials for once.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/sciencenow/3204/01-resup.html

An interesting online article about mirror neurons. Check out the audio of Daniel Glasier. You can link to the audio, or the print form if you prefer.

Who knew.
Thought provoking. Filled with possibilities, hope.

Hope you, and others, will find it interesting. -a

Anonymous said...

I am diagnosed with autistic spectrum disorder(Asperger's). I checked the article you mentioned. It is very interesting. I also read an article that you might like in Science Daily. It says,"Researchers at the University of California, Davis, M.I.N.D. Institute have discovered that the brains of males with autism have fewer neurons in the amygdala, a part of the brain involved in emotion and memory." My mom writes poetry and I write poetry too. I like some of your poetry. There are some I don't understand but they sound nice. It is good to hear that you are a good father to your son that is autistic. I am blessed with a good father too. If your son wants a pen pal you can give him my e-mail address. Sincerely, David

Copyright © William F. DeVault | All Rights Reserved