Thursday, September 14, 2006

WVU vs. Maryland, the view from the Left Coast

To follow up on an earlier note in this blog, I wanted to expand on my words regarding the Los Angeles Times and WVU Mountaineer Football.

In today's (September 14) LA Times Chris Dufresne gives 'The Times Top 25' which is headed by none other than WVU...his comments regarding tonight's matchup against Maryland:

"Law firm of Slaton and Smith try to make another case tonight against Maryland."

Cute, although some of his other comments about other teams and matchups are perhaps more pithy. My favourite? Regarding this weekend's "Bowden Bowl" between Florida State and Clemson:

"Bobby says son Tommy can't coach this week unless he finishes his homework."

For someone like me, who knows that family well, I find it uproarious. And, knowing how competitively Tommy takes football (two-hand touch games on church camping trips were played with smashmouth intensity when he was in the game), I am sure it ticks him off to still be in his Dad's enormous (or, as Bobby would say 'humongous') shadow. Tommy, accept it, when you win a half dozen national titles, maybe they'll give you your due.

I'll be watching this game tonight, from my hotel room in Los Angeles, on ESPN. Mom and Dad will be stuck defending their driveway from tailgaters who want to park there, then drunkenly stagger to the stadium, just over the hill from where I grew up.

0 comments:

Copyright © William F. DeVault | All Rights Reserved