Friday, September 15, 2006

Wedding's Eve thoughts on my new Son

I am going to go into uncharted waters and comment on my daughter's wedding tomorrow and the groom.

I know he has friends who read my blog, so at this point I expect them to already be dialing their cellphones, wanting to tell him I am talking about him. Good.

Peri has always been my girl. My best friend. Even though we have gone through some rough patches with the divorce, my second marriage and some of the BS that came with that mesalliance, I am still devoted to her.

That having been said...I like Brian. From what I perceive, he is a good guy. Honest, hardworking and devoted to Peri. It is tough for a Dad to lose his girl to another guy. But, getting a new son like Brian makes this easier for me.

I can tell how she feels about him, and it is all good. She has no illusions. She knows he's not perfect. But she's not settling. She's chosen well a very good guy.

I can see how he looks at her. I can sleep at night knowing he'll do what it takes to keep her safe and make her happy. Which, in the end, is more important to me than my relationship with her. I am not so selfish as to think that the be-all and end-all of everyone whom I care for's existence is to be how they view or relate to me.

What others think of you. What others say or do about you or to you. These things do not change who you are, they merely reveal their character, their vision (or lack thereof).

I am pleased to welcome Brian to the family. I hope my sons choose as well, when their times come.

Much love to my new son.

0 comments:

Copyright © William F. DeVault | All Rights Reserved