Sunday, September 17, 2006

Topanga Canyon. 09/17/2006.

I have a new son.

Brian, welcome to the family. It was a lovely, if brief, service. I have never seen Peri so unconditionally happy over anything. You're a good guy. I know your relationship will weather some storms and you'll be a forever thing.

I envy you.

When I get back on Tuesday I'll scan in some of the photos to share. I'll be back, later today, to share some new poetry.

Oh, and LA? A foregone conclusion. I told Aldo Alvarez, years ago, that LA would be my center of operations for the digital renaissance, I see no reason to change my mind. All that is needed is the will and the wedge. I see things more clearly now.

Peri? Love you. Very, very proud of you.

Dante? Every time I see you I am more mesmerized by your development. You're a great son and will be a great man. Love you.

Elric? We'll have to work on your cocksure smirk. Too much like people perceive me to be, and you would not want my path. Love you.

Jan? Thanks for putting together this shindig. Thanks for everything. Argue if you must, but Peri is practically the perfect blend of the best in both of us, with her own take on life.

I'm skipping brunch at the Hilton. Anybody looking for me will have to be more open. Open hands to the wall. I am tired of quiet daggers in the dark. Stealth proves nothing but your own belief that you are unfit to challenge me head to head.

On the dark side, at one point during the reception I turned to my old friend Chuck and observed that there are an estimated 10 people in the world whom I know (who have, through either their own words or through direct actions against me) hate me. Nine were in the room. He laughed and congratulated me on my brass for showing up. I told him I would probably set off the airport metal detector. I had promised Peri that if I were alive I would be there. One less obligation, now. I'm working to clear out a backlog of ill-considered promises.

I survived the evening on adrenaline and naproxen sodium (the gout was brutal) only to crash, emotionally, this morning. I rebounded (don't ask how...I still have a few secrets) and am preparing to return back East tomorrow night.

There were some old friends I had not seen in years, at the wedding. I encouraged them all to stay in touch, and whether because they really want to or because they were being polite, all but one assented to the notion. We'll see how thin the veneer of civility is.

I'm breaking out a novel I wrote when I get back. Since the person I wrote it for has not seen fit to bring it out, I think I'll reclaim it and publish it myself. It's not bad.

Oh, and that sonic boom you thought you heard late last night? That was me, setting my new personal best for the Topanga Run.

0 comments:

Copyright © William F. DeVault | All Rights Reserved