Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Day Two: Planet-Cyber explorations and chocolate cake memories

Here I am at Planet-Cyber, a cybercafe (or, if you prefer, internet cafe) in the Valley, on Topanga Canyon. I stumbled across them by accident and their technical setup is far superior to Velocity's...even if the atmosphere is less laid back.

My feet are doing a bit better, and I have been writing some new poetry. Nothing to share at this moment, but I will probably be back on later today, and tomorrow and again on Sunday and Monday (I may take a blogging break for the actual wedding).

I am taking pictures (low-tech, disposable camera) and will be adding them in at a later point.

I sit here, sipping my Perrier with Lime. Those of you who know me from my LA first coming will recall my addiction to that, even over my extreme fondness to Diet Dr. Pepper, which I used to order by the 6-pack with my meals from Pink Dot, one of the true great inventions of modern society. They would deliver me a hot baked potato, stuffed with bacon and cheese, a slice of chocolate cake and a cold 6-pack of DDP, until 2 in the morning, and they took checks. Just the place to call when you are on a writing bender.

I recall, when I got my first flyer from them, it was actually more of a catalog, listing everything you could order. I called my old friend Chuck and asked him what he might want to order at 1 o'clock in the morning. He said "chocolate cake". I checked and, sure enough, you could order that. I asked him what else he might want. He said "a fifth of Jack Daniels". Sure enough, that too was available for delivery. I asked him a third time. He paused then said "Well, presuming the chocolate cake and Jack Daniels did their jobs, a box of condoms". And, yes, Virginia, you could order condoms, to be delivered to your apartment door at 1 in the morning.

Heaven, to some people. I'll never tell if I ever availed myself of that particulat service. A certain leggy, blonde e-zine publisher will have to be the first one to admit to anything first.

0 comments:

Copyright © William F. DeVault | All Rights Reserved