Sunday, September 03, 2006

This angel is an indifferent mistress for now

I slept last night. No, I really slept. Almost ten hours. I never sleep like that unless I am totally exhausted or very sick. And I see no other symptoms of illness, so I must have just been to-the-bone tired.

I've been pushing the edge for the last few weeks, I know...trying to juggle several disparate objects with one hand, metaphorically. But it is all good. I won't have to sell my soul to attend Peri's wedding and most of my projects are still on track.

I am going to a family reunion later today, and am planning to write from that corner, to make certain I pull my weight on my collaboration with Dan McTaggart later this year, the semi-sequel to THE MORGANTOWN SUITE POEMS, entitled PSALMS OF THE MONSTER RIVER CULT. RONIN IN THE TEMPLE OF APHRODITE is shaping up excellently and should not endure the production problems that have plagued 101 GREAT EROTIC POEMS. I even have my cover model.

I look forward to the LA trip with a mixture of trepidation and delight (I am awaiting "felicity or doom..."). Why I am going to be there almost a week is a good question to ask...since I initially made my plans it has been made abundantly clear that I am expected to show up for the rehearsal dinner, for the wedding, and stay out of the way the rest of the time. For a person like me, a major slap in the face, but we do endure much to be able to feel we are doing right. Relationships, all relationships, are work. Nothing of value is effortless. Sometimes the cost is sweat, sometimes blood...like either swinging a sledgehammer to break down a stone wall, or sitting quietly while someone tosses stones at you.

I was going to, as a partial gift for the wedding, present Peri and Brian with a very sentimental gift...but I see where they are right now more into practicality, so it shall be practicality.

Most of my friends from LA I have lost track of, or have moved on with their lives, or have moved. I return to an indifferent mistress, but one who wooed me once before and I have every reason to expect the same reception.

Technorati Tags:

0 comments:

Copyright © William F. DeVault | All Rights Reserved