Friday, November 11, 2005

bored beyond belief

There's a scene in "LA Story" where Steve Martin writes on the window of his apartment "Bored Beyond Belief", so that it is readable from the outside.

I actually don't think his ennui was due to an actual lack of stimulus, but from a combination of factors, including a preconscious sheltering of one's life, brought on by disappointment. I speak from experience. I am usually at my most bored when I am too banged up to do anything about it.

Like, right now...here I am...working at a job about 1/10th my usual high-powered, high-paying position, in an area where the definition of "nightlife" is drinking until you puke. So far, so bad. The dating pool is less than 1% what I am used to. I have of sense of betrayal and abandonment so palpable that it clings to my skin when I rise every morning, from lovers, friends and even my own children.

Perhaps it is a season in which this dragon is moulting. Perhaps it is the start of the slow, inexorable slide to the end of the line.

Time will tell.

0 comments:

Copyright © William F. DeVault | All Rights Reserved