Monday, June 19, 2006

the necessity of evolution

As my emotional temperature rises, like the arcane runes on the One Ring in "The Lord of the Rings", things bubble to the surface, emotions usually kept under lock and key and beneath tons of debris. When you drain the pond, it's hard to not get some of the sedimentary sentiments.

It makes for interesting dreams and strange epiphanies late at night, when you are working away on projects that require either a concentration on the amomantic scriptures of a life, or the connection with the raw emotional stock of the soul.

Someone wrote and asked if I was going to re-enact "the Topanga Run" when in LA this fall for my daughter's wedding.

In a word, "No". Not in a rental car and certainly not at a time when much could be read into it. Besides, I have nothing, at this time, to test regarding my survival instincts. I have no doubt but that I am either going to go the distance, or sacrifice myself out of necessity, probably for someone who won't really care (twisted laugh) but I don't do what I do for the applause.

Somewhere along the way, we became too selfish a culture to note that the individual is not the most essential element in society. Just as I stand by my statement that an atheist cannot completely understand love, as they have no absolute model of it to integrate into their emotional worldview, I also question whether or not someone lacking a model of self-sacrifice for the greater good, even in the face of ignorant hostility, could understand it.

We need, as a people, as a culture, as a world, to evolve. The difficulties that lie ahead require strength of purpose, clarity of mind and dedication of heart. And that's just the mid-term elections. God help us when global warming wreaks the havoc we are damning our children and grandchildren to in avarice and cowardice. When new political and cultural forces arise and arrive.

Caffeine. I need caffeine. Well, not as much as a good woman, but the need is more immediate and the fulfillment more likely.

::sigh::

0 comments:

Copyright © William F. DeVault | All Rights Reserved