Monday, June 26, 2006

Monday Morning Meander

My niece, Crystal, is returning to the area this week and she wrote and asked me when my next reading is, so she could be there (although a rabid listener to my weekly podcast show while she has been living in Austin, Texas, she has never actually seen me read, live).

I had to admit, with some embarrassment, that I don't have anything planned in July. I would like to have at least one, ideally the full-on read of the 'pcycles on the 18th, but that is not something I have yet arranged for. Maybe I need to get with the program and set it up...

I'll post info here as I get it.

The decision to post the raw audio of "NQ" on just MySpace has been, in my estimation, a success...so we shall see what I do in the future. I like having the cuts from THE LAST ROMANTIC VERB on there, and would not want to displace more than maybe one more track in the near future.

We shall see.

I want to get out and walk today, but we are under a violent thunderstorm watch. Sigh. Such is life.

Spent a great deal of time talking to my friend Anastacia yesterday...she's trying to fix me up with someone. Maybe she's tired of me getting into destructive relationships with emotionally disabled young woman as I arrogantly try to play Superman to the wounded birds who turn out to be kryptonite (in the crypt-tonight...there's a poem or ten in that). As neurotic impulsive complexes go, the Superman complex at least helps others...I've saved a few lives and souls along the road. Yes, at a price to me...but in the end, is my safety, happiness and well-being more important than anyone else's?

I am not so arrogant to think I should stand aside while others suffer. In a recent poll, 74% of college age males said they would intervene to stop a rape in progress. Whether or not you believe that number...what about the 26% who would not? What kind of gutless, selfish, stupid jerks are we raising in this country?

Don Quixote is not only dead, we have pissed on his corpse and made a sitcom about his stupidity.

David Bowie says in his song "Somebody Up There Likes Me" - "Was a way when we were young that any man was judged by what he'd done...now we pick them on the screen by what they look like and where they've been."

Dead on, Ziggy. Dead on. That's why we have a coked-out frat boy in the White House who will be on the board of every major oil company when he retires, as thanks for the billions of dollars they are raping from the public while sending our children to die in Iraq, instead of some guy who comes across as a little too smug and self-righteous, but actually gives a damn about something other than his personal fortune (Al Gore).

We get the government we perversely deserve. We don't care about the kind of world we leave to our children and our grandchildren. That's why I think the 26% is high. No one seems in a hurry to intervene in this rape.

0 comments:

Copyright © William F. DeVault | All Rights Reserved