Sunday, June 11, 2006

leggy lit majors and...aw hell, what else do you need?

I was just up at Barnes & Noble in Morgantown, taking in the scenery, and I did check to see if my books are in for next week's event...they are.

By the way, if you live in or near Morgantown, West Virginia, or attend West Virginia University (WVU) you should come by next Tuesday, June 20th, in the late afternoon or early evening. They'll be having several noteworthy writers of West Virginia extraction appearing...I'll be there from 7pm to 9pm, unless lured away by a leggy lit major wishing to show me her villanelles (in which case, all bets are off, but imagine the stuff I'd be writing if I found a good, solid, hypersexual muse right about now...)

Here's hoping the local radio stations like WAJR and WCLG and the local newspaper (The Dominion Post, for whom I was a paperboy in my youth and whose award-winning lensman, Rob Rittenhouse, shot the photo that is the cover to my book THE MORGANTOWN SUITE POEMS) give the event (on West Virginia Day, to announce the release of the "West Virginia Encyclopedia" which I am pretty certain I am not mentioned in, because, after all, how much fun would my life be if I ran out of heathens to convert? Okay, keep the heathens, find my that leggy lit major...) a proper play.

And buy the damn books. Those by me and by other "regional authors" who will be appearing. Yes, I despise being identified as a local or regional author, but it makes The Powers That Be (TPTB) happy and I always love giving TPTB some rope before I snap it back like a heavy gauge steel chain on a wayward puppy's collar. In the end, I know I am in charge of my own life and responsible for my own successes and failures (so far, enough of the first, surprisingly few of the latter, and working on unbalancing the load yet further). Arts Monongahela, for one, appreciates it when you buy THE MORGANTOWN SUITE POEMS...they make money off of it.

Word for the day: Mountaineer. I am just waiting for WVU to trademark that word, they seem trademark happy in claiming all sorts of phrases and terms as part of WVU's intellectual property. While they're up to their rumpled khakis in that, why don't they just trademark "West Virginia" and sue the state for using it?

Here's the list from their website:

The words "West Virginia University" *
The West Virginia University Flying "WV" graphic *
The West Virginia University Seal *
The West Virginia University Mountaineer graphic*
The initials "WVU" *
The initials "MDTV" *
The words "West Virginia"* (When used to refer to West Virginia University.)
The script "West Virginia" graphic **
The word "Mountaineers" *
The word "Mountaineer" **
The words "Let's Go Mountaineers!" **
The "Mountaineer Magic" graphic **
The interlocking "W" and "V" graphic **
The "100 Seasons" graphic **
The words "Spot the Ball" *
(* Denotes federally registered trademark and should be accompanied by ® trademark designation. ** Denotes state registered trademark or common law trademark and should be accompanied by the ™ trademark designation.)

Ooops, I was wrong...they do claim trademark to "West Virginia"...my bad.

So far I have only been arrogant enough to lay claim to "Romantic Poet of the Internet" and "Amomancer"...maybe I need a marching band. Or a leggy lit major. Wow, one track mind...

1 comments:

thebluedolphin said...

I enjoyed this piece so much...Living in Fl. I always spot a mountain william by the sticker on the car...big sigh..blue

Copyright © William F. DeVault | All Rights Reserved