Thursday, June 22, 2006

MySpace...yawn

Yes, I'm late blogging this morning. I slept in...feeling a bit under the weather today. Nothing major, I am human.

Went ahead and signed back up with MySpace...five minutes later I realized why I'd left in the first place. It's like a virtual theme park for ADD children. Even those claiming to be "adults" (many, it is glaringly obvious that since anyone with the click of a button can claim to be over 18, are just sandbagging) on there seem determined to compete to see who can make the most screechingly unviewable profile, with a visual and audio clutter of dreck. It's tiresome, like a small, yappy dog that nips at your heels.

I'll leave my profile up for a few days before I decide it just is a total snore...and leave it to the sexual predators.

Wrote some good stuff yesterday, I am quite pleased. It's all in the inspiration and I am tapping into some new material...don't worry, 101 GREAT EROTIC POEMS is still on track. I'm just in a wedge hiatus, where I chose to put it aside for a few days while I work on other things.

Several have contacted me to say I sound really down on myself over the reading the other night. I always hate my readings. I wasn't as sharp as I could have been, but that reflected a) the venue (bookstores are not as much fun as cafes and clubs), b) the audience (nothing meant offensive, I just did not have a point of focus in the crowd) and c) I just wasn't feeling it. Next time I will do better, I promise, and I will still be hypercritical of my performance, I promise as well.

You don't get to heaven without some self-examination.

2 comments:

Ms. Adams said...

You should examine why you attract the young, William. I'm a member and I attract musicians, poets, and writers within my age range. Mark Rockeymoore's totally blossomed over there with intelligent actual adults commenting on his work. Not to advocate people sign up for Myspace, but I have been wondering where this swarm of teens is that everyone talks about over there. I don't see them in my spot there. ;-) But then I'm very strict and list "networking" as my reason for being there. I've gotten some of those "Ohh, my name is Cindy (or Brad), come see me at xyz.com," but webhead that I am I recognize this is spam, and so click the spam button.

I haven't gotten comments on my posts, and really don't plan to. Like most community's you have to run around and comment on other people's work to get a comment on yours. I'm tired of that scene. If I want out reciprocation work out, I'll do AuthorsDen.

Perhaps people who seem like spoken word artist attract a different crowd. Or perhaps it's because I'm a woman. I just haven't had the teeny-bopper experience there.

But you're doing so well with your own site. I can see why you wouldn't bother doing it for exposure's sake.

N.

Ms. Adams said...

Forgive the errors. I hit the wrong button and published.

Copyright © William F. DeVault | All Rights Reserved