Monday, August 20, 2007

a most curious dream

I had a most curious dream last night. Not just for the content and context, but also for the quality of it, very crisp and clear. I practice lucid dreaming and am very good at realizing when I am in a dream (if I am flying, disembodied or in a a large bed with a beautiful woman, usually it's a dream...) but this one was framed ordinarily enough that it took me a moment to realize I was within myself.

I was sitting in a pew at my old church (Calvary Baptist) with my family, listening to a gospel quartet when, in a moment of exuberance, I flashed a "peace sign".

The music stopped and the lead singer of the quartet berated me for doing that, saying I had "defiled" an "American church".

I stood and began to recite the Beatitudes...as the crowd grew ugly.

I am not anti-military in practice, my family has many career military men and women in it and I respect the difficult jobs they have. But I also believe that Jesus was not lying when he said "Blessed are the peacemakers".

0 comments:

Copyright © William F. DeVault | All Rights Reserved