Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Define Me on FaceBook

Well, nothing like a good, rousing slap in the face early in the morning.

Having started hanging out on FaceBook of late, I have been indulging in the applications one can add...and was invited by one of my "friends" (a variable notion, as some I barely know) to use one entitled "Define Me", I decided to try it out.

I haven't used it yet, but this morning I had my first "hit"...my first list of words that "define me" posted to my application, given to me by one of my friend with the same application...and they were.

pitiful
self-indulgent
egostistical
blowhard
loser

Why would anyone want to be my friend if this s their definition of me? No idea. But, it must be interesting to despise someone so much and still want them as a friend...I can't imagine havin such a low opinion of someone and still wanting them in my sphere, except as a demonstration of my charity?

I'm not wounded, I believe that of my friends list there are only three or four who actually know me well enough to express an informed opinion of me, and none of those, I believe, are that hypocritical, even on a bad day. And only knowing one or two of my contacts as having the application, it does narrow the list of suspects, I suspect. Sigh.

Well, at least they didn't call me a bad poet.

Ooops...a short while after I posted this, they went back and added "talentless" and "hack" to the list.

The sad thing is, I figured out who it is.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

One of your ex's?

Serious question.

William F. DeVault said...

Never know, but it seems unlikely, as only two of my "friends" have the application, which I think is required to post your opinions, and neither of them have I ever met.

More likely someone who thinks they are being funny...or like Dwight Moody said "Character is what you are in the dark"...people expose their real thoughts, feelings and makeup when they think they are anonymous.

It is wounding to be called names, even the ones I know to be untrue (no one who knows me well thinks of me as egocentric...and I like to think I am not totally self-absorbed or talentless).

It would bother me to think that someone who calls me friend holds such base opinions of me, but the deepest knives come from familiar hands.

Copyright © William F. DeVault | All Rights Reserved