Saturday, March 24, 2007

The Russians, rewritten

With deep, deep respect to Sting, this is my humble rewrite of the lyrics of his song "The Russians" that turns it to a greater threat to the survival of the human race, global warming.

The truth is, no matter how many people whose salaries (and campaign contributions) depend on denying the truth, we are risking the lives and quality of life for our children and their children if we lack the moral, ethical and spiritual fiber to act and act aggressively.

"The Voters" (with a deep gratitude to Sting and Prokofiev)

In all our lands underneath the sun
We have brought a fate from which we cannot run
Our world is changing and we must turn back
Or destroy our planet on an arrogant tack
Mister Bush he says 'There is nothing to fear"
But his lies are plain and his loyalties clear
History will judge us by what we do
Let the voters love their children too

How can I save my little boys
From Halliburton's fiscal joys?
There is no monopoly on common sense
On either side of the political fence
Science makes our guilt so clear
If we wait too long extinction we fear
Believe me when I say to you
I hope the voters love their children too

Denial will not change our fate
And we pray to our God we are not too late
Shall arrogance be our legacy
When our lands are cleansed of every lake and tree
Mister Inhofe says he rejects the truth
As the greenhouse gases damn our youth
It's inconvenient but it's true
I pray the voters love their children too

We share the same biology
Regardless of ideology
What might save us, me and you
Is if the voters love their children too

That's it, thank you for reading. There are many issues in the political marketplace. Peace. War. Abortion. Education. The economy. But all of these are meaningless if we don't have a world to lay these upon.

Join me in encouraging Al Gore to run for President in 2008 (I love ya, Hillary and Barack, but we're talking the survival of the human race).

And I do love my children. I am old enough I may not be around when the worst of times comes, but I accept the fact that I owe a debt to future generations, we all do.

By the way, a great resource link for climate change information (real science!) is to be found www.realclimate.org.

Namaste.

1 comments:

Ms Peach said...

There you go.
This is a poem that "stings"
On the mark.

Copyright © William F. DeVault | All Rights Reserved