Thursday, March 22, 2007

John Edwards' domestic violence joke

I was just watching the John and Elizabeth Edwards press conference concerning the return of her cancer and the impact it will have on his Presidential campaign. I was heartened by their drive and attitude and the political animal in me sees this as largely a plus to the popular awareness and perception of these two remarkable people.

Then, he did it.

John Edwards pulled a Dan Quayle probably more Quayle-ish than I had ever before seen.

In the midst of explaining how she cracked a rib moving some boxes, leading her to see her doctor, Elizabeth was interrupted by her husband who gestured with his fist and joked "I was beating her".

I felt my jaw drop.

The political capital he had just gained seemed to drain away as even a whiff of a joke of spousal abuse is so unfunny to so many people.

I do not believe for a moment that John Edwards is capable of spousal abuse...but that joke will be replayed with glee by political commentators and opponents, salivating over the fresh blood in the water.

It is sorrowful to see a campaign run on fresh and youthful energy begin its end in a simple faux pas, but there it is.

0 comments:

Copyright © William F. DeVault | All Rights Reserved