Thursday, March 15, 2007

Hypocrisy in the time of global warming

I am a Christian. And a Liberal.

In part because I beleive the two to be inseparable. Show me a person who claims to be Christian and is not emracing the "L" word and I will show you someone who needs to spend some serious time in prayerful consideration of the hypocrisy of their views.

Yes, you can pick and choose verses from the Bible (usually the Old Testament) to back Conservative issues. Doing the same hunt-and-peck validations, you can find scriptural support for almost every sin and crime you can imagine. I'm not looking for a convenient religion, I'm looking for an honest one that embraces the truth and the will of God.

Having been a member of the Southern Baptists when that dominant denomination made its turn to the right in some bizarre attempt to exchange God for a kingdom of booksales and political conquest here on Earth, I am not shocked by the recent rift amongst Evangelicals over Global Warming. As typified in this story Global Warming Gap Among Evangelicals Widens, we have individuals like Donald Wildmon and James Dobson who, for the most part, demonstrate a Paris Hiltonesque desire to keep their names in the headlines and seek to find cause to threaten the human race by rejecting a call for stewardship that hearkens back to the Garden of Eden charge placed on Man by God, in order to preserve their right to have talk shows and solicit contributions from their mislead flocks.

It is disturbing but not wholly unexpected. Me, I'll follow my conscience and the will of God and the safety and survival of my neighbors, in accordance with the wishes and commands of Jesus Christ.

And hope that there exists still the moral will to do the "right" thing for the human race and the planet.

0 comments:

Copyright © William F. DeVault | All Rights Reserved