Saturday, February 24, 2007

Another Idol bites it

I really feel sorry for Antonella Barba (yes, I have seen the pictures) who is probably going to be making a less-than-graceful exit from the American Idol competition before next week. Maybe this means Baylie Brown gets a second chance?

I am amazed that so many people seem oblivious to the fact that certain actions (allowing oneself to be photographed performing sex acts on one's boyfriend, for instance) might just make it to the internet if one takes the step to the public eye. And, while I am not a huge supporter of Ms. Barba's talents (I quipped after watching her the other night that they were keeping her for sex appeal, coincidentally) I have nothing but contempt for the individual or individuals who either for spite or money have inflicted this distress and discourtesy on the young woman and her family.

I had a close friend who had make sex tapes with a guy from her neighborhood (not a boyfriend, it was "just for fun") and she was always afraid that they'd come back to haunt her one day (he had them). To the best of my knowledge they never surfaced, but she was aware of the hurt it would cause her and her family and regretted having been thaat careless. She worried about it for years.

People: Your actions, particularly if recorded, echo for years. If you don't have the common sense to protect your reputation and public image, maybe you shouldn't be in the public spotlight. I am sure Antonella is now wishing she had not made the final 24 of American Idol, because the odds are these photos would never have come to light if she had not.

Sorry for what is happening, Antonella. But second chances do happen and I hope you rise above all of this youthful indiscretion.

0 comments:

Copyright © William F. DeVault | All Rights Reserved