Sunday, August 27, 2006

reopening DeVault

You're going to see some changes around here. Big changes. I can't announce them all right now, in part because I don't know what they all will be.

But I can tell you this blog is going to become more me and less a vaporous shadow of me.

I'm not, by nature, a dissembler. Nor am I, by nature, a liar. Or a coward. But times and forces have entered my life over the last several years that have made me compromise, conceal and obscure my thoughts, my feelings and my life.

That's not fair to me, as it means I have to live and present, if not a lie, at least a weak, homeopathic liquor of my existence. It's not fair to you, as you are a part of my universe, even as a witness.

So let's lay some groundrules.

No falsehoods. When I joined the Society of Friends, it was in no small part an attempt to help keep that part of me so often bent by the whims and wills of others into falsehood under control. I have largely found my way through from that.

No willful harm to others. I will use totems and code phrases, to protect the innocent and the guilty. The innocent can come to harm. The guilty can sue. Neither is a desireable place to be. If you are a part of my life and feel I am exposing you or making you subject to ridicule, I apologize in advance. Let me know if you have issue, I will seek to correct any false impressions I give. I am not perfect.

No grandstanding. You'll get the unvarnished essence of my life. Some days are boring and hollow. Some are of interest only to me. As such, you may find what I have to say of little interest. But just as that oddly shaped single-colour jigsaw puzzle piece does not give away where it goes, it does eventually fit into the picture and is necessary for completeness.

Let's start from the basics.

My name is William Francis DeVault. If you are reading this, most likely you are either related to, acquainted with or aware of me as the author christened the "Romantic Poet of the Internet" all the way back in 1997.

I have been married and divorced twice. My first marriage gave me three children, who are stars in the firmament of my heaven. The eldest, Peri, lives in Los Angeles and is getting married next month. I will be there, keeping a vow I made to her a few years back that, if I were alive, I would be there.

My sons, Elric and Dante, live with their mother, whom I will solely refer to in my blog as The Valkyrie. Our marriage dissolved under many pressures, after about seventeen years, but mostly my infidelity with the totem-muse I call The Panther who is the subject of my book THE COMPLEAT PANTHER CYCLES, which I reccomend. As novel-length poetic diaries of a dysfunctional and destructive love affair go, it is the best. I and my first wife stay in touch, she tolerates my existence, as I did break her heart. But, she recognizes the role I play in the lives of our children, and as she has said many times, she would not have me killed as that would eliminate her ability to make my life a living hell. Charming.

My second marriage was to The Leopard, who was named appropriately, as in the end she could not change some of her spots and we parted, amicably at first, but elements have entered the mix since then to make things quite acrimonious. What those forces are I have no inkling of and I sometimes mourn the loss of her friendship. I find life a bit confusing and frustrating when I am not offered a chance to state my case and clear the air. Regardless, I hope she is happy, healthy and safe.

I have never fallen out of love in this life. Yes, never.

It is a curiosity to me, as so many people claim to be able to do so. Whether that means I loved differently, or they are just in denial, I have no idea.

I have, at this point, authored about 13,000 poems, and produced 9 books. The most recent one is currently in that awkward stage between completion and full production. I have my next six book projects already mapped out for me.

A slender young man, as I aged I swallowed my regrets and gained a great deal of weight. I finally believe I have a control on this and have recently shed over 40 pounds and intend to keep going until I am satisfied with my weight.

I currently live in Morgantown, West Virginia, where I grew up. I returned here during my second divorce, in part as refuge, in part because my father was about to undergo surgery and in part because I had just been honored by the Appalachian Education Initiative as one of 50 "outstanding creative artists" from West Virginia. Never mind that I had, in part, originally fled the Mountain State to establish myself as a writer and that my own high school has never asked me back to even guest speak in an English class, I still felt an obligation to be present.

I am currently not involved with anyone, although I have started dating again. It is difficult finding someone who can get past my emotional and intellectual defenses. This is a problem that complicates my life as I derive strength from my relationships and emotional satisfaction from my sexual relationships. I am monogamous by nature and I do not drink or smoke or do any recreational drug stronger than caffeine. I tried champage, on my wedding night of my second marriage, and spat it out. Perhaps a bad omen?

I work a day job, as most poets who have not won the lottery do. Mine is as a Trainer for a large customer services company. I have worked for larger, richer companies, and made nearly ten times the salary I now earn, but the people are decent, the atmosphere is congenial and this is Morgantown, not Los Angeles, San Jose, or Washington.

We'll talk more later. In the interim, you can always cruise over to my website The City of Legends and check out some of my writings, some articles about me and some soundfiles of myself and my friends reading poetry, and even my band "The Gods of Love".

Take care, God bless, and may U live to C the dawn.

0 comments:

Copyright © William F. DeVault | All Rights Reserved